Server Popularity

EliteGandalf

Yes that's what I mean.. In an attempt to spice things up. We could even broadcast it for those who want to watch since there are only so many slots in the server... So does this request go unanswered? A yes or no would suffice. Yes for let's do it, and no for well you get it.. It could a best of 3 campaigns... Not necessarily in one sitting. Does this idea hold any interest with anyone? Prospective teammates, enemies, and spectators.

• Like 1

If we can't have a tourney how about a clash! Between the Titans of old and the new and up and coming players!? We all know admins don't stand a chance. So how about the best older players against the best newer players. Let's do it!

I dunno if I'm classified as an older or a newer player, but either way, I'm not one of the best.  I would love to spectate tho if it happens!

The trouble with our server is simply a matter of getting the wrong kind of attention.  Three years ago, GC's 10 vs 10 was the best kept secret on the L4D2 server list.  Now that all of the official servers are gone, there are no other servers for trolls and griefers to hold hostage.  We get everyone from the seasoned pros to the lowly Steam Sale newbies.  It's hard to build a specific type of community when we get flooded with a bit of everything, whereas up to this point, we were approached by a particular kind of player who was a bit more in tune with the eccentric nature of our established player base. 

All of these changes just take patience and I know many of our seasoned pros, like myself, feel like they've seen all there is to see.  Then again, I did play a game with Lookback tonight for the first time in ages.  Not only was it like the 'good old days' , victory hinged on the skill of the survivor's cooperation, rather than the infected's offensive capabilities, which is a departure from what I usually see. 

Our 10 vs 10 server isn't dry yet.  There's plenty of spectacle yet to be had, especially for our new guys.  I'll be around from time to time to see how the new blood stacks up.  Those meatsacks aren't going to puke on themselves, after all.

Truly one of the most beautiful posts I have ever read. Honestly bought a tear to my eye.

Reading your post vlad gave me an idea... If we can't have a tourney how about a clash! Between the Titans of old and the new and up and coming players!? We all know admins don't stand a chance. So how about the best older players against the best newer players. Let's do it!

I'm intrigued by the idea, but where do you draw the line of being a titan of old, and a new player? A year on GC? Two years?

I'd love to see monthly games happen by the way, which I shall refer to as "funwars" now after what I used to play on C&C Renegade. Funwars were awesome.

Can we get a monthly kind of thing going? Like on the 3rd Friday/Saturday night of the month at a certain kind of time, we do some awesome games? (That date is just a throwout, could be any).

We play stuff like admins vs members, USA vs rest of world, oldies vs young'uns (over 30 years old vs under 30 years old as a suggestion?), or just a plain old picked team game. People sign up, first 20 who sign up get in, two team captains pick players (in private so there are no hard feelings about being picked last), and we have some good old fashioned fun? There are so many games that we could play with a little bit of organisation :D

• Like 4

So how about the best older players against the best newer players. Let's do it!

The best older players, you weren't even around when they were and they were long gone before you even came and I doubt they'd be any good coming back after so long too. I think it was those infinity people that were considered the better players back then, at least when I first joined the server and I'm pretty sure 6 is the only one that's around. I'd be down for that though I really suck these days, not the try hard I use to be lol

We have tried to bring in fun ideas, admins vs members, custom maps, Jackie pathing, VIP mode, the kill peanut contest, etc.  The idea is to bring in some new things, have some fun.  I have a bunch of other ideas, but time has been a problem lately.  I think I can help get some of these going again though, as summer is approaching.

I keep thinking about the tournament idea.  There are some problems that keeps making me put it off.  We had interest enough for 4 teams and I have all the rules figured out.  But, with 4 teams, if each team plays each other 1 time, plus a final game for everyone, that would be 8 games.  If we did 2 games per night, that is 4 nights.  When I looked at the data from everyone, including which nights people said they could play, very few people can play any night (Friday, Saturday or sunday).  Almost everyone had indicated that they could not play on one or two of the nights.  So if I pick Sunday nights, for example, that knocks a percentage of people out.  It also means, that we all have to commit to playing every Sunday night for four weeks.  It is just not easy to get so many players, plus Jackie, Crash, me to commit to that.   My availability is better now, so if you guys want me to just go ahead and set this up, I can do it. 

Other ideas I had (or other people mentioned to me):

US vs International team for one night game (I like this idea, would be easy to do I think)

Male vs Female Match

Pick up games - at beginning of campaign, choose two captains, and alternate them picking people (just mix up how we do teams a bit)

Contests - prizes for things like point farmer or whatever, for a specific campaign or night or time frame

Let me know what you guys think, I can try to help these things move. 

So how about the best older players against the best newer players. Let's do it!

The best older players, you weren't even around when they were and they were long gone before you even came and I doubt they'd be any good coming back after so long too. I think it was those infinity people that were considered the better players back then, at least when I first joined the server and I'm pretty sure 6 is the only one that's around. I'd be down for that though I really suck these days, not the try hard I use to be lol

You really suck these days? You're not the "try hard" you used to be? Nah chill, don't lie. You're more of a god now :P

(edited)

I am offering my help Peanut.  If people want an event set up on a particular night where you 3 aren't around, we could talk about it ahead of time so I can (hopefully) get things rolling quickly and efficiently.  I hardly see Crasx, but I would think that you and I, or Jackie and I, can find a little bit of time to talk about whatever needs to be done prior to the event...   :shrug03:

Let's start out with a male v. female night!

Edited by DiXie
  • Like 1

Male vs female is horribly unfair :P

I won't deny that the girls are good, but you're then facing people like swatfishy, general, gandalf and chimichanga, a single one of which could slaughter a team with an early tank :P

I'd be interested a US vs rest of world game, I think that'd be fairly awesome :D Depending on how "stacked" it could look, you could perhaps include or not include Canada with the US team, because we all know that the US is basically South Canada

• Like 2

We have tried to bring in fun ideas, admins vs members, custom maps, Jackie pathing, VIP mode, the kill peanut contest, etc.  The idea is to bring in some new things, have some fun.  I have a bunch of other ideas, but time has been a problem lately.  I think I can help get some of these going again though, as summer is approaching.

I keep thinking about the tournament idea.  There are some problems that keeps making me put it off.  We had interest enough for 4 teams and I have all the rules figured out.  But, with 4 teams, if each team plays each other 1 time, plus a final game for everyone, that would be 8 games.  If we did 2 games per night, that is 4 nights.  When I looked at the data from everyone, including which nights people said they could play, very few people can play any night (Friday, Saturday or sunday).  Almost everyone had indicated that they could not play on one or two of the nights.  So if I pick Sunday nights, for example, that knocks a percentage of people out.  It also means, that we all have to commit to playing every Sunday night for four weeks.  It is just not easy to get so many players, plus Jackie, Crash, me to commit to that.   My availability is better now, so if you guys want me to just go ahead and set this up, I can do it. 

US vs International team for one night game (I like this idea, would be easy to do I think)

Male vs Female Match

Pick up games - at beginning of campaign, choose two captains, and alternate them picking people (just mix up how we do teams a bit)

Contests - prizes for things like point farmer or whatever, for a specific campaign or night or time frame

try reverse captains mode- two captains who chose what player goes on the opposite team. captain a pics for captain b, then b pics for a and so on

• Like 4

Male vs Female Match

try reverse captains mode- two captains who chose what player goes on the opposite team. captain a pics for captain b, then b pics for a and so on

"You get Shepard"

"HA, THEN YOU GET PANDAS"

"Fine, but you're having Proto."

"I'm giving you Johnny then"

"Oh come on, that's just mean. I'm giving you Pump now"

"Dude, low blow."

• Like 6

We have tried to bring in fun ideas, admins vs members, custom maps, Jackie pathing, VIP mode, the kill peanut contest, etc. The idea is to bring in some new things, have some fun. I have a bunch of other ideas, but time has been a problem lately. I think I can help get some of these going again though, as summer is approaching.

I keep thinking about the tournament idea. There are some problems that keeps making me put it off. We had interest enough for 4 teams and I have all the rules figured out. But, with 4 teams, if each team plays each other 1 time, plus a final game for everyone, that would be 8 games. If we did 2 games per night, that is 4 nights. When I looked at the data from everyone, including which nights people said they could play, very few people can play any night (Friday, Saturday or sunday). Almost everyone had indicated that they could not play on one or two of the nights. So if I pick Sunday nights, for example, that knocks a percentage of people out. It also means, that we all have to commit to playing every Sunday night for four weeks. It is just not easy to get so many players, plus Jackie, Crash, me to commit to that. My availability is better now, so if you guys want me to just go ahead and set this up, I can do it.

Male vs Female Match

"You get Shepard"

"HA, THEN YOU GET PANDAS"

"Fine, but you're having Proto."

"I'm giving you Johnny then"

"Oh come on, that's just mean. I'm giving you Pump now"

"Dude, low blow."

Sorry, everybody knows I hate this game. Y'all have fun, though.

Male vs Female Match

dead admins screenshot competition