Steam Sales on L4D2

PeanutButterNJelly

Our L4D2 servers have long time players, who have a huge number of hours, know every strategy for every map inside and out, know every advantage, and are experts with the buy menu.  When there is a steam sale and a lot of new players arrive, there is obviously some frustration as they rush, don't use points, don't send points, don't heal others, hold spitters, etc. 

Being a member of GC isn't about just getting your reserve slot on a L4D2 server, it is about being part of a great gaming atmosphere.  It is about having a place to play where people don't get cursed at or ridiculed. 

I am asking all members to help out.  Teach new players how to use our buy menu.  Tell them not to rush and WHY they shouldn't rush.  Explain why they should rotate spitters, etc.  If they don't listen or understand, just have some patience.  Some of these new players will become regulars and gc members.  Tell them why they should become members.  Tell them to come to our website.  If they have any questions, feel free to tell them to add me on friends list or send me a message.  I answer everyone (except Meng). 

Keep our game going, keep GC going.

Also, if you think an admin is being too harsh on new players, or if you see other members not treating them properly, let me know.

• Like 4

@Talpa lol

I really don't see why there is that much complaining about new people. We new it was coming. Most people I spoke with were excited about the sale prior to it happening because the servers were "dry" most of the day. I'm having a blast. Though I can't really coach players because quite frankly i have a "crappy mic" or so I'm told. Works fine on mumble, private chats, etc. So I'll just stick with carrying. I invite all sir-talk-alots out to guide the poor souls in my way. And yes woman that talk fall under the sir category.. Yuri -.-

• Like 2

You can't blame new people for being new. When I was new there were always members on doing the right thing. So you stuck out like a sore thumb. That's where the problem starts in my opinion. Cause not only do you have new people out of control, but some of the members that are fairly new that that łike to rush and shop. There aren't enough members that okay the game right to keep them in check anymore. Gc is like Fangorn Forest now. And if we talking about the forest Treebeard knows it best.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-xGyj4Jnnuh7Jm/the_lord_of_the_rings_the_two_towers_2002_the_ents_history/

If you want people to listen you have to drill it in there heads, and there should be consequences for mistakes. When I was new I pressed the not vocal button by mistake chick gave me one warning. I pressed it again to say OK. Insta-kicked

@Talpa lol

I really don't see why there is that much complaining about new people. We new it was coming. Most people I spoke with were excited about the sale prior to it happening because the servers were "dry" most of the day. I'm having a blast. Though I can't really coach players because quite frankly i have a "crappy mic" or so I'm told. Works fine on mumble, private chats, etc. So I'll just stick with carrying. I invite all sir-talk-alots out to guide the poor souls in my way. And yes woman that talk fall under the sir category.. Yuri -.-

bah ill do my best to show them the right way but i can't be punished for the outcome LAWL i have no control on what they do just what is said to them from my mouth

I don't mind helping new players but patience has limit.

2 nights ago playing on dead air 4th chapter a few of the new players kept running into the spit to get a dropped gift and got incap then someone tried to pick up the guy, gets himself incap. That happened like 4-5 times in the chapter. Told them over and over to stop running into the spit but they didn't listen so I just stopped healing them since they would get incap again 30 seconds later.

If a person is purposely running in spit over and over, that is griefing and breaking the rules.  Again, I am talking about new people that do not break the rules.  We can have patience with new people in regards to initial rule enforcement and try to explain things to them, but if someone continues to break rules they need to be kicked or banned.  I am just asking members and admins to treat new people in a welcoming and helpful manner. 

When I go on the server and hear an admin just screaming at everyone on the server, out of frustration from dealing with new people all day, I just do not think it is acceptable (just one example).  No reason to punish everyone for other people breaking the rules.  I am asking everyone, members and admins, to just keep this in mind when dealing with newer players.  We want as many of them as possible to become regulars, members, etc.  But again, if people are blatantly breaking rules, they need to be handled.  Just don't assume that because one person refuses to do anything but rush, that the next new person will be the same way. 

I don't mind helping new players but patience has limit.

2 nights ago playing on dead air 4th chapter a few of the new players kept running into the spit to get a dropped gift and got incap then someone tried to pick up the guy, gets himself incap. That happened like 4-5 times in the chapter. Told them over and over to stop running into the spit but they didn't listen so I just stopped healing them since they would get incap again 30 seconds later.

Yeah..don't die for new people. It's not worth putting yourself in danger if they don't know how to use points or attempt to listen. Teach them how to use points after they're dead and have nothing to do. For some reason, some new people are more receptive to help after they're dead. I don't get it. Get help before you die.

what lookback said. if they are unwilling to read the chat, take even 1 minute to reply or even less to type in "ok" they are beyond help.

a good idea to counter shopping is to follow them around and constantly berate them tell them to move up and to stop wandering off.

• Like 1

just give them some time they aren't going to understand the server within a day.  but what drives me noodles is when ppl who have less than 1 hr play time of l4d come in asking what everything is.  i did have fun with a 4 v 4 the other night when ppl were asking.  in fact that was one of the best times i had in a while playin l4d.  maybe i should join with all newbs

just give them some time they aren't going to understand the server within a day. maybe i should join with all newbs

Which is why I said they need to communicate. Saying they don't need to communicate as a new person AND new to the server is ridiculous. Yes, playing with all newbs is fun when it's clear winning and getting points isn't an objective. (Very rare even with all members.)

The ones that stick around are the ones that communicate in one form or another.  Anz - honestly, following them around and berating them is not a great way to make things work.

9 times out of 10, they will communicate while infected - about how to jump.  The other time is usually when hanging from a ledge, or at the start of the round on how the buy menu works. 

Edited by Lookback

Idk if anyone else feels a bit like me, but I only recently started "communicating" more... I guess I just felt a bit out of place with everybody knowing everybody else (the regulars, i mean), besides the fact that I don't own a mic (that's on me, i know...). I got the game on last year's summer sale, and I sort of understand people getting mad at the new guys for not knowing the rules/generally being lost in the game. However, when I see some new people that actually follow the rules and/or ask how to do something, I can't help but think about me as a complete newbie last year, trying to figure out how the points system worked, or what mains were. So yeah, maybe not even 10% of the new people will stick around, but hey, at least this great community will have grown a bit and maybe even gotten a couple new talents.

It's been almost exactly a year since I got the game and started playing on this server, and I couldn't wish for a better place to play. I hope I continue to get to know some more people and hopefully get a mic soon. To all the admins (and members too): keep up the great work you've been doing all this time! :P </pointless cheesy post>

• Like 5

Idk if anyone else feels a bit like me, but I only recently started "communicating" more... I guess I just felt a bit out of place with everybody knowing everybody else (the regulars, i mean), besides the fact that I don't own a mic (that's on me, i know...). I got the game on last year's summer sale, and I sort of understand people getting mad at the new guys for not knowing the rules/generally being lost in the game. However, when I see some new people that actually follow the rules and/or ask how to do something, I can't help but think about me as a complete newbie last year, trying to figure out how the points system worked, or what mains were. So yeah, maybe not even 10% of the new people will stick around, but hey, at least this great community will have grown a bit and maybe even gotten a couple new talents.

It's been almost exactly a year since I got the game and started playing on this server, and I couldn't wish for a better place to play. I hope I continue to get to know some more people and hopefully get a mic soon. To all the admins (and members too): keep up the great work you've been doing all this time! :P </pointless cheesy post>

That wasn't a "pointless cheesy post." I agree with you :)

Hey, a lil off topic but just installed l4d2 on my new comp and noticed that the number of l4d2 servers nearly doubled in the list... Is this related to the summer sales or for reason could I not see them before (saw 32-36 before now it's 58).

Also I'll be there to welcome the new players :)

Edited by Ignis

you must have joined a new steam group or something, thats where you get them from AFAIK.

i have like a thousand from joining a bunch of unrelated l4d groups, sadly, they dont go away after you leave the groups

• Like 1