Opinion on Swamp Fever?

grammyclark

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, since Peanut told me not to wait another year for my second post here... I'm starting this thread. During all my time playing on this server, I've seen many different reactions whenever Swamp Fever comes up as the next campaign. So, I thought I'd start a poll out of curiosity, just to see how many people actually like/hate Swamp.

Personally, I don't mind playing it, even though it can get kinda slow/tricky for SI in certain parts. I think the first round and the finale are the most fun to play, but that's just my opinion. I wanna know yours! :yellowbiggrinsqr:

• Like 1

I am mixed on this.  I like the variety we have of cycling through every map.  Since we play the same maps over and over again, it would only make all the maps even more boring, if we reduced how many were in the rotation.

But, there are certain maps that I think tend to empty out the server and this is one of them.  Almost every time it comes up, people ask me to do a map vote or people leave the server.  If an admin is there, it isn't a big deal, but with no admin, it can empty the server for a couple hours.

(edited)

1up for "inmediately request a map vote"

-its a lag map for me

-its almost completly horizontal, cant creep down or up on survivors

-half full of bots at most times so you cant hide behind branches or bushes

-too much water -ign

-it always kills the server

1367247942981s.jpg

this is how i feel when i have to rush the first 3 maps on a dead sever just so more people get in/i can play another campaign.

if the server doesnt die and people want to play it, im cool whit it, it also gets more visualy enjoyable whit these 2 mods:

http://www.gamemaps.com/details/14286
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385200719

ALSO, why do people dislike crash course? and why was it that cold tream isnt in the map rotation?

Edited by anzul

Swamp Fever is my favorite setting in the game.  It's one of the most challenging and rewarding campaigns for actual cooperative play on expert.  I've played it through many times and never tired of it.

On the other hand, SF simply doesn't suit our 10 vs 10 server and how it's played.  The complete lack of spawn points, let alone effective ones, kills it for me.

My feelings are conflicted to say the least.

Nothing wrong with Swamp Fever,

Obviously there is since it clears the server almost every time. One of the main problems in my opinion is the invisible walls and low ceilings. There's hardly anywhere to launch spawn from. 

GC Server Admin

Nothing wrong with Swamp Fever,

Obviously there is since it clears the server almost every time. One of the main problems in my opinion is the invisible walls and low ceilings. There's hardly anywhere to launch spawn from. 

You mean you cant be a hunter on it?

Thats funny

There is always somebody who doesnt like the map Deal with it Play  or Leave , dont care either way

I like Crash Course and Cold Stream can be fun, both are quick too!

Yep, I agree....on Crash Course. It's a cool map. Its also a pretty underrated campaign.

By the way, the finale is actually good. It's just as challenging for the survivors as it is for the infected. It's a long route to the generator for the survivors, which gives the infected PLENTY of chances to get some good attacks in on them. There are also several cars around for tanks (both scripted and bought).

Reaching the area with the generator in the end as survivors is easier said than done.

However, once the survivors reach the end, the tables turn. It becomes more challenging for the infected to attack, and easier for the survivors to survive. Why? It's because most of them could just stay in that building after activating the generator. It gets harder for the infected to spawn in on them. It's going to take some really effective tanks, and great teamwork by the infected to kill the other team at this point in the finale.

Lets not forget that playing Crash Course wouldn't take too long. It's a short campaign. It only has 2 chapters!!

Overall, Crash Course is surprisingly a decent/good campaign to play in. It took me a while to warm up to it too. Crash Course can be fun....:)

....as well as Swamp Fever.

• Like 1

I like Swamp Fever. It's refreshing to play a map where a single tank can't clear out a team with a hittable. Overplayed SI strategies don't work on this map.

The tank battles can become long and protracted thanks to the water, open space, and bushes. I like how the tank can harass the survivors instead of having to 100% commit in most other maps.

My favorite parts:

Map #1: Death charging into docks

Map #2: Jockeying last person leaving plane

Map #3: Dear lord, this map is so good for rocket boomers and chargers. Many angles to spawn from.

I had trouble spawning in when I was newer, but these days not so much. I wish more people liked it, because it sucks to always have to play through it with bots. 

(edited)

You mean you cant be a hunter on it?

Thats funny

There is always somebody who doesnt like the map Deal with it Play  or Leave , dont care either way

I said it empties the server, not sure what that has to do with me using a hunter. And like Brandon said, Chapter 1 and the finale are ok, but the rest is boring. Yeah that's my opinion but obviously a lot of others share it since the server dies when the map is played. 

Edited by Thug
  • Like 1

Carlos, Swamp Fever is as bad as people make it out to be. That one map in middle spoils the bunch. Water, water, water, open spaces, open spaces, open spaces. Yeah, great map. I can't think of any singular good part about the airplane map at all.

Map 1 and the finale are the only maps worth playing in the campaign. All reasons for finding this campaign a drag have been touched on. Actually, the Shantytown map is also pretty good. So, there are 3 good maps out of 4? Map 2 is the campaign killer, imo.

Cold Stream is great but under played. I only agree to vote map because it clears the server? Why? Probably because players can't hack it. It's just as viable as any other campaign besides Swamp Fever. Don't run. You'll have fun if you actually stick around to play it.

Crash Course is pretty fun, too. Too bad it clears the server. Again, I only vote map because it clears the server.

And lastly, you don't have to play with bots. Why would you want to play with bots? Go play some other game or start your own listen server if you want to try out btw techniques.

Edited by Pumpernickel

Carlos, Swamp Fever is as bad as people make it out to be. That one map in middle spoils the bunch. Water, water, water, open spaces, open spaces, open spaces. Yeah, great map. I can't think of any singular good part about the airplane map at all.

Map 1 and the finale are the only maps worth playing in the campaign. All reasons for finding this campaign a drag have been touched on. Actually, the Shantytown map is also pretty good. So, there are 3 good maps out of 4? Map 2 is the campaign killer, imo.

Cold Stream is great but under played. I only agree to vote map because it clears the server? Why? Probably because players can't hack it. It's just as viable as any other campaign besides Swamp Fever. Don't run. You'll have fun if you actually stick around to play it.

Crash Course is pretty fun, too. Too bad it clears the server. Again, I only vote map because it clears the server.

And lastly, you don't have to play with bots. Why would you want to play with bots? Go play some other game or start your own listen server if you want to try out btw techniques.

hahaha u made me choke on my breakfast thanks pump.

anyways ppl dont like it bc its too challenging.  if i have to go against brandon, shaq oh my that other guys name is ........... i cant remember but hes pretty good... if i have to go against that with the ppl i had on my team........ then ppl can play swamp fever.  stacked beyond belief.  thank god shaq switched over (thanks btw) but then general comes on the other team... yuri wanted to punch bacon in the FACE.  but oh well there's always kf, right gen :D

I always stack teams when I join, on ANY campaign.  Number one reason why ppl rage.  True story.

You gotta be in a certain mood to enjoy Swamp Fever, sushi, brussel sprouts, or... Yuri.  

hahaha u made me choke on my breakfast thanks pump.

anyways ppl dont like it bc its too challenging.

I think you might have interpreted what I said as troll voting. <_< Secondly, why aren't you still choking>_>

For a campaign like Swamp Fever which is "hard" by other campaign standards, a team is going to need...hmm, what's that word people seem to forget to apply? OH. TEAMWORK. The talent pool has dried up a little so trying to use teamwork nowadays is a chore and a half. A /lot/ of players lack that and thus Swamp Fever is nearly unplayable. You YOLO chargers and jockeys know who you are both newbies and regulars.

• Like 1

@ Thug for swamp as a campaign to be playable and by this I don't necessarily mean fun with needs to be done to every map except finale. Walls need to be added, ceilings up'd, buildings or some some of obstacles that survivors can't see through because it is an unbalanced nap in favor of the survivors. For instance... Adding the additional water towers in blood harvest finale made it a lot more even and fun. Not saying it will be that simple for swamp, nor am I focus on making hunters happy. Just by adding a plethora of dozens points for infected would already make the campaign more balanced and by doing so make it more fun. They don't play swamp fever in promod. That should tell you what the masses think about this campaign. There are several campaigns played where they've added obstacles and spawn points to balance maps in promod.

• Like 1

(edited)

a couple of breakable boats or haystacks would help the tank spots too.

insta-incap props, like cars, would be too op in the more open areas.

Edited by anzul