Windows 10 Clean Install

LiMiT

Upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and waited for bugs to be fixed, updated drivers, etc.  Today I went to do a clean install and start fresh.  I consulted a few trusted sources, did all of my backups and created the Windows 10 install USB from Micrsofts website.  Everything was set.  Got up this morning double checked everything and proceeded to do the install.

The USB drive booted up as it should and started to install Windows 10.  I wanted to do a clean install and selected my Samsung 840 EVO SSD to format.  It had a message at the bottom saying that Windows 10 couldn't be installed on this ssd because it was a MBR partition table and Windows needed to be install on a GPT partition table.  I thought that would be taken care of during the format. 

It wasn't.

The Windows 10 install USB, (and subsiquently the Windows 8 DVD) won't format beyond the initial partition.  It won't re-partition the drive.  So, I tried to boot from the Samsung DVD.  No luck.  I created a bootable USB drive with the Samsung software.  Didn't work.  Also learned that the Samsung software won't work on another computer that does not have another Samsung drive installed. 

So, now I'm here waiting for my father to return to his home so I can go over and use his computer to install this drive, format and re-partition this SSD.

What is most frustrating is that this particular problem wasn't documented in any Windows 10 installation guides (at least the ones that I consulted.)  If I had known about this I would have prepared for it.  So, I've wasted the majority of this day on this one debilitaing issue.  Also, why wasn't this an issue when I originally installed Windows 8 on this drive?  And why wasn't it an issue when I upgraded to Windows 10? 

So, if you have Windows 7 or 8 and want to upgrade to Windows 10 just do the upgrade. :P   If you want to do a clean install please check your drives for GPT parition table.  At least look up MBR and GPT tables in Google and make sure you're ready.  

S.

Edited by LiMiT

-Boot to the Windows 10 flash drive again

-select repair the OS 

-select cmd line 

-use "diskpart" in command

-type "list disk"

-select the samsung ssd ("select disk 0" or 1 or 2 or whatever)

-type "clean", that will wipe the drive clean of all partitions

-type "create part primary"

-then type "active" and that should take care of it

*you can also type "format fs=ntfs quick" if you want to put the drive in ntfs if you want before isntalling the os.

-type "exit" to exit disk part

-close the cmd" reboot

-boot to the win 10 flash drive and install.

Edited by Madvillain

The option of repairing Windows was not available.

I put the drive in another computer, deleted the partition, ran diskpart, converted and now I'm home and about the put the drive back in and reinstall Windows.

S.

Forgot to update. :P   So, I got the drive back in and installed Windows 10 from the USB boot drive.  All was well.  I even found out when it was converted.  Seems that when I made the USB boot drive someone my bios was changes from Legacy to UEFI which was fine.  I needed to do that anyways.  Although, it made it Legacy+UEFI which was giving me some troubles.  I changed it to just UEFI and proceeded to put back all my tweeks.  One tweek sent by computer into a infinate boot cycle and had to reinstall Win 10 once more. 

All is now well and my computer is running beautifully.  Although, I forget to backup my browser settings and bookmarks from Win 8.1.  Ohwell.  Can't win them all.

S.