New Build, help?

So I'm deciding to cash in some of my PTO and I got the ok to build a new rig. I'm thinking no more than like $750. I'll most likely reuse my power supply, as well as the case, but I'll need everything else new. Is there anything new out there I should know about? Should I move into DDR4 or is it just too expensive for my budget? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

You can do this, I really don't think DDR4 is necessary right now. SSD drives are the big alternative, they have come down in price alot and you would be surprised and what they can do to even an old cheap dual core system. I don't know where you stand on current rig but I think you can do it for 750. Just remember to do a lot of research.  

I don't think DDR4 is at all worth the money given your price point. 

Here is what is, in my opinion, the optimal $750 build (sans case, psu, OS, and peripherals)

CPU: Intel I5-4690 

CPU Cooler (If you can use your old one, great): Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 killer (ATX-LGA1150)

Ram: Any DDR3 2400. I personally would grab g-skill ripjaws X or corsair vengeance but really there are plenty of totally fine options.

Video card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V 

Total price: $769

Without CPU cooler: $739

Obviously if you plan to overclock you'd need to change the CPU and Mobo, but really, that is a personal preference and not a huge money changer. 

Zero, what I currently have is a Q9550, ASUS p5Q pro mobo, 8gb of DDR2, and a EVGA GTX 260.

Honestly anything that I buy for close to $750 will be a huge upgrade from what I've been using. My check comes Thursday, so I'll probably be buying the stuff next week if anyone has any more suggestions. Thanks Leone for the parts, I'm going to look into them now. Similar to what I was looking at already I think.

What I plan to reuse is the 850 watt Antec PSU (I know it will die one day, but it seems strong still), my case which I love, and the DVD drive.

I'm getting a SSD and maybe a normal HDD depending on the amount of money left over as well.

Edited by samurai nightling