A turnbull TeRRible Game Review: Early Access SQUAD

turnbullTeRRoR

First of all I did not buy this game.  My bud,  rippeddd  who I have been friends with since 8/9 y/o  gifted it to me for Christmas.

Second point I have to make is that my experience with massive war games is limited to   BF:1942,  BF:Vietnam,   and to lesser extents on that massive part: Insurgency / CoD3  

About the game: It is a war game based on tickets and capture points much like the battle field games.  The settings are much more natural than games like Insurgency and CoDs.  It can take quiet  a bit of time to transverse the map.  Thankfully squad leaders can set up rally points that act as limited respawns.  These can be destroyed so trollish  points will not be a thing.  Also squad leaders  have the ability to coordinate with other squad leaders.  Strategy is paramount in this game.  Vehicles will be part of the game but they are not at the moment.   

Keep in mind this is a early release ALPHA game

PROS:

• massive maps, tons of room to flank
  • gun fire ballistics and sounds are better than most games
  • great strategy game
  • multiple communication systems(squad and proximity) 
  • Ability to set up rally points as limited respawn points
  • Ability to set up defensible  positions.  ( sand bags, barricades)
  • natural... land around capture areas are not set up with cover in mind...its more realistic
  • Some players are SUPER serious ( really serious squad leaders make the game fun)
  • Grenades wreck havoc to squads that are too clustered.

CONS:

• Its a little laggy at this point (massive servers / map size)
  • No tutorials
  • Some players are SUPER serious  (super try hards  can grind your nerves when they give their opinions on you or team mates decisions) 
  • vehicles are not in the game yet but they will be
  • not many gun choices at the moment
  • character load outs are severely lacking compared to insurgency/ cannot customize ( I do not know if this changes )
  • If you become squad leader  you will have no idea what you are doing to a greater extent then just a noob  first time grunt
  • Every game I have played  has lasted over an hour.

TbT's final thoughts...          If you like fast  paced action and seeing your KDR at anytime then this game is not for you.   If you are a realism freak and have patience this could be your cup of tea.  As for myself I'm undecided. I've never really played games like this so I'm giving it a try and will continue playing.   If any more things stand out I will post more.

Like most team based games having an adept team is crucial to success and enjoyment.   In this game you have 4 factors to worry about... give or take 1 or 2.

1.  You have to have a good squad leader(SL) this is very important.

2.   You have to have subordinates who follow commands.....(unless SL is an idiot in case I suggest squad abandons and reforms under new leadership)

3.  Even if you have a great SL and subordinates if the other SL's aren't working together then its all for naught.

Basically for optimal experience you need at least 3 competent SL's  and good teammates under each SL

Here's your's truly leading the Insurgent forces to victory over the Americans via having the best squad.   Its not just about you and yourself in this game.  You have to put your troops in a position to excel.  And honestly  I could not have had the success with my squad  if the others had not followed suit and agreed to over all battle strategy.  This was a very fun game.

393380_screenshots_2015-12-24_00002.jpg

• 9 months later...

Now that  Squad Has Vehicles  ( for 2 months now)  and all the bugs are worked out from that release  I feel its time to  update this review.

Squad is a nice challenge.    The Vehicles have really added to the game in a positive way from what I've experienced.   The game has also become more optimized.   Its still an alpha though and I do enjoy playing it.  I think I'll ask some more GC peeps who play to pipe in on this so any potential peeps on the fence can see some reviews from different angles.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So...project reality with updated graphics?

It looks exactly like my kind of game. It bridges the gap between Battlefield and ARMA, or so it appears from the few video's I have seen.

If/when I build a desktop, this might be purchase number 1.

Ok, I am taking my pros and cons list from original post above and  making adjustments and adding commentary  after 1 year of owning squad.

Keep in mind this is a early release ALPHA game

PROS:

• massive maps, tons of room to flank  at least  2 map styles and  5-6 versions have been added maybe more
  • gun fire ballistics and sounds are better than most games
  • great strategy game
  • multiple communication systems(squad and proximity)  plus squad lead to squad lead only
  • Ability to set up rally points as limited respawn points
  • Ability to set up defensible  positions.  FoBs-defensible spawn points( sand bags, barricades)
  • natural... land around capture areas are not set up with cover in mind...its more realistic
  • Some players are SUPER serious ( really serious squad leaders make the game fun)
  • Grenades wreck havoc to squads that are too clustered.

CONS:

• Its a little laggy at this point (massive servers / map size)  Updates have made the game much smoother
  • No tutorials still no great tutorials 
  • Some players are SUPER serious  (super try hards  can grind your nerves when they give their opinions on you or team mates decisions) 
  • vehicles are not in the game yet but they will be   Game now has vehicles-  Americans get 2 different types of humvee, Transport Truck, and Logistics Truck,  Militia  and insurgents get  pickups with mounted .50 guns, pick-up logistics, pick-up with rocket things on back, and a transport pick up. Russians get BTR's  Transports and Logistic trucks
  • not many gun choices at the moment  4-5 more choices now available
  • character load outs are severely lacking compared to insurgency/ cannot customize ( I do not know if this changes ) no changes here
  • If you become squad leader  you will have no idea what you are doing to a greater extent then just a noob  first time grunt Squad leading is slightly  harder to learn now with vehicles in the mix
  • Every game I have played  has lasted over an hour. Games are still pretty long but vehicles have expedited the process.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Alpha 10 just released-  Game is smooth if you don't have a potatoe.   Its a really great game but your expirience like so many cooperative team games will vary depending what kind of team mates you have.  I played 8 straight maps today won 5 lost 3.  2 of those losses were really crappy games cuz the other squads didn't do anything close to helpful.  That can happen but the other 6 games were great.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd give this game a solid 7   If they let you customize your loadouts any at all I'd give it a 8.5

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...