Mead Making Tutorial

VladPiranha

https://youtu.be/olG1etbI54Y

The first installment of my mead making videos is online now.  Mead is my favorite kind of wine.  It's not easy to find in liquor stores, especially if you want it made with a particular fruit or at certain alcohol level, so you're largely left to make it yourself if you want something really fantastic to pass around during the holidays.  My 2014 vintage of Raspberry Northman is opening later tonight for Christmas.

If you're of Nordic ancestry, as I am (Uppland, Sweden), then making your own mead can be a fun experience simply for historical reasons.  Watching the movie The 13th Warrior, starring Antonio Benderas, will also get you in the mood.  It's what initially got me interested.  It's a movie about an exiled Arab scholar who chronicles his journey with a group of twelve viking warriors on a mission across the sea to do battle with an ancient evil.  They drink plenty of mead when they're not slaying agents of darkness.

Edited by VladPiranha
  • Like 1

I really want to try mead, but like you said it's hard to find.  There is a winery about 3hours away that makes it and I want to go and check it out.   Going to check out your vids and subscribe!

S.

The good news is that you can make a bottle from scratch for about $30 once you have the necessary equipment.  Gallon batches are very inexpensive to make to learn the craft.  For what you can accomplish, the buy-in for mead making is actually really inexpensive in general.  Hopefully you give my recipe a shot.  I'm still working on it and documenting as I move along.  Speaking of which, editing of Part Two is now complete:

https://youtu.be/Sih9qjBovSk

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I've been watching and I'll go back and re-watch once I decide to give it a shot.  Good stuff and keep up the awesome videos.  I'd like to see follow-up videos with different recipes or other tips and pointers you may have.

S.