Book Club

Haven

So the past few Saturday Night Customs nights that I have been on, you nerds turn it to talk about books.  Being a big book nerd myself I love it.  So we were talking about various series last night again, and it got me thinking maybe I should start a thread about books.  I do have a GoodReads account, but I haven't done anything with it.  

So below are some of my favorite series broken down into genres.  

Urban Fantasy: 

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher: Set in Modern Chicago, a young Wizard tries to make his way in the world as a Wizard/Detective.  Occasionally helping out the Chicago Police Department with weird cases.  

The Iron Druid Series by Kevin Hearne: This follows the modern day adventures of a 2,000+ year old Druid and his hound.  The hound isn't nearly as old, and is quite a bit funnier.  

The Council Wars series by John Ringo: This actually takes place 10,000 years in the future where the "ruling" body of the world goes to war and causes the downfall of man.  This is also where a Sci-Fi writer tries to write fantasy.  

Monster Hunter International Series by Larry Corria

Fantasy:

Dragonlance Series by Margeret Wies and Tracy Hickman: A classic fantasy tale with an extended universe.  Though to be honest some of the books are good, some are bad.  

Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher: A Roman society transported to another planet where magic exists.  

Science Fiction:

The Serrano series by Elizabeth Moon

Vatta's War by Elizabeth Moon

Vorkorsigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Planet Pirates series by Anne McCaffery & Elizabeth Moon & 

Old Man's War series by John Scalzi

The Lost Fleet Series by Jack Campbell

Forever War by Joe Hadleman

Doona Series by Anne McCaffery

Historical Fiction:

Belsarius series by Eric Flint and David Drake

1632 series by Eric Flint and others

I'm sure there are more, but I have run out of time for now.  Once I figure out the url for my GoodReads account I will post that.  If others want to post their GoodReads accounts I wouldn't mind.  

Fantasy Series

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson  14 books

This is my  favorite series of all times.   If you have heard horror stories  that books 7-8-9 weren't any good. Well that's true.  However, The last three in the series completely saves what the first six books started.

The Drizzt Saga by R. A. Salvatore Which includes

Icewind Dale Trilogy

The Dark Elf Trilogy

Legacy of the Drow Quartet

Paths of Darkness Trilogy

The Hunters Blades Trilogy

Transitions Trilogy

Neverwinter Saga Quartet

The Sundering stand alone

The Companions Codex Trilogy

Homecoming  ( incomplete)  Next Release April  can't wait :D

The Drizzt Saga is a close #2 in my heart.  I mean........30+ books...... wut

From  Icewind Dale to the last few series you see a shift in R. A. Salvatore's thinking and style and I think that's a pretty cool thing to see/ feel/ and realize while still maintaining interest.  He begins to dote upon  many problems people face and its been a really nice experience  that I could relate to.

The Cleric Quintet by R. A. Salvatore

Pretty interesting non- Drizzt Series by Mr. Salvatore.  Its worth the read  for any forgotten realms fans

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (5 books)

A childrens book series written  in the 60's that any adult can find enjoyable and funny.  Book one, "The Book of Three" was the first real book I ever read. (in the third grade)  I read it so many times the librarian sent it home  with my little sister for me when I was in Highschool after it was considered discarded.

The Elenium 

The Tamuli

The Belgariad

The Mallorean All by David Eddings and listed in personal ranked order.

While Eddings is mostly famous for the Belgariad, I find the books featuring Sparhawk to be more enjoyable.   All four of the series follow the same layout and have many similarities, but the first two exhibit a little more gritty and adult feel.

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings   by J. R. R. Tolkien

no comments......the world has been inundated  with LotR for the last few years...I'm over it

The Watershed Trilogy by Douglas Niles

A nice trilogy I think worth the read. I never tried Nile's Forgotten realms stuff but I'm thinking about it.

Elminster: The Making of a Mage by Ed Greenwood

I read this recently because I'm pretty invested in the Forgotten Realms ( see 30+ Drizzt Saga above)  

I don't think Ed Greenwood is a very good author. Book seems clunky but I feel it is a must for forgotten realms fans who read other series and hear so much about the post powerful Wizard in all the lands known as Elminster

Science Fiction

The Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson

I've talked to a few peeps who didn't hold high opinions of this trilogy.  Whelp, I do.   It's no longer in the canon but I like the story anyways.

I've read many many many more books but I've not the time to remember them all I'll quickly list some more down below

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Heart of Darkness  Joseph Conrad

Congo

A Brave New World   by Adolph Huxley?

The Eye of the Dragon - S. King 

Dealing with Dragons  - can't remember

Goblins in the Castle - Bruce something- Children's book

White Shark -Peter Benchley 

St Peters Wolf- can't remember

Aliens:something something- can't remember

Monster - Christopher Pike   I actually had a  hand full of  Pike's Teen horror works this one stood out because  the movie "The Faculty"  straight rips it off some scenes by happenstance or not I do not know

I recommend watching the Game of Thrones.... I tried the audio books but the narrator was terrible

edited  1/13/15

I really enjoy murder mysteries:

I really got into the series by Betty Hechtman.  It's a series about women who crotchet and always end up in some sort of murder that happens lol.  It's got a good mystery side but also really funny.  

Anything by Sidney Sheldon.  His mysteries will have you on the end of your seat until the last chapter.  Doesn't have a lot of series really but he does have  a few that get into multi-books.

Favorite by him is: Tell me your Dreams (first one I read by him)

Also a really great murder mystery series with a lot of comedy (at least imo) is Bryant & May by Christopher Fowler.

I have never been into sci-fi but Tirtul is a really big fan.

Also, my cousin's wife published a sci-fi book earlier this year that's available at Barnes and Noble.  From what I've been told it's more for the young adults, but it's got some good reviews and I believe the sequel will be out sometime in the next few months.  I haven't read it but might make it my first sci-fi read.  It's called Tracked by Jenny Martin and Marked is the sequel coming out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for a book club.  Maybe even a "book-of-the-month" style club where a few members recommends a book each. The books are voted on by the community and the winning book is the book everyone reads and then we discuss.   Next month another group of members puts a book to be voted  on and so on and so forth.  Of course long series would be difficult, but I think if we can help each other discover more books then great.

Here is my problem.

I'm VERY picky when it comes to literature.  One of the reasons I don't read as much as I would like.  For example.  I'm reading through the Witcher series now.  Yes, I was inspired to read them from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.  The game is THAT good that it makes you want to know more about the world and lore that Andrzej Sapkowski created.  I haven't been let down either. I'm thoroughly enjoying them.  

I picked up Star Wars: Aftermath with the full intent to read that before The Force Awakens came out.  Got the book.  Hardcover.  Got ten pages into it and I can't stand the authors writing style.  I'm going to dredge through it eventually only because the book is canon and expands a lot of the minor characters in the universe.

I have been recommend more bad books then good and I can usually tell when something is worth my time right from the start.  Sure, don't judge a book by it's cover... or even the short synopsis of the story on the back of the book, but I can't help it and I hate to invest into a book only to be disappointed.

In addition.  I just read an article recommending the top 40 science fiction and fantasy books coming out in 2016 and NONE of them peeked my interest from the short description in the article for each book.

Am I hopeless?  Maybe, but I'm always willing to at least try.  Lets see what GC can come up with.

S.

• 3 weeks later...

So the past few Saturday Night Customs nights that I have been on, you nerds turn it to talk about books.  Being a big book nerd myself I love it.  So we were talking about various series last night again, and it got me thinking maybe I should start a thread about books.  I do have a GoodReads account, but I haven't done anything with it.  

My favorite fantasy books I would recommend:

Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 book series) - Steven Erickson

Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfus (i'm sure you've heard of and or already read this)

Sci Fi:

Enders Game (so much better than the movie) the sequel "Speaker for the Dead" is also pretty good

I listened to the WOT audio books while hiking the Appalachian Trail.  I hiked 2285 miles and only made it halfway through the second book.  Very long series indeed.

I listen to a book a week ......but then again I listen to them while I work so its probably around 25- 30 hours of my 40- 45 hour work week.     I have audible so I get a free book each month.  When something new pops up I grab it  but when not I collect the next WoT series.  I have 2 books signed by Mr Jordan when he came through Fayetteville around 2000 -2001 ish

• 1 month later...
(edited)

This topic was brought up again during Saturday Night Customs.   Then Sunday I had a thought what about all the books I have on my iPad that I haven't read.  I keep buying books from the Kindle store, and I have a backlog.  Part of what brought this up was also a post by a friend of mine about a book, so I added that book/series to my Wishlist on Amazon.    

Armada by Ernest Cline

The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher 

Fire with Fire by Charles Gannon

Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb (Gen Con Author Guest)

The Blade Itself: The First Law by Joe Abercrombie

Star Wars: Choices of one by Tim Zahn

The Rain Wilds Chronicles by Robin Hobb

Elfhunter Trilogy by C.S. Marks

Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd

Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (started, haven't finished)

Star Wars: Mercy Kill by Aaron Allston (started, haven't finished)

The Mongoliad

The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss

Star Wars: Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn

Warbound (The Grimnoir Chronicles book 3) by Larry Correia

Wayne of Gotham by Tracy Hickman (started, haven't finished)

Word of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, book 2) by Brandon Sanderson

I know a ton of books on my to be read list.   Some I started but put down, most of the time it just wasn't the right time for that book for me.  

So what is on your backlog?

Edited by Haven

• 4 weeks later...