What would you do with 1.3 billion dollars?

chick82

Well if anyone plays lotto like Tirtul and myself do when the powerball gets up to a high enough number we feel like it's time to get some tickets. The last few drawings we've gotten some.

So what would you do if you won?

Lump sum or payments?

Charity or no charity?

Family sharing or selfish spending lol!!

Cars boats houses?

Tell the world or not even tell your cat or dog?

But most of all would you faint? Drop dead? Or say screw it and wait 6 months lol.

Well if anyone plays lotto like Tirtul and myself do when the powerball gets up to a high enough number we feel like it's time to get some tickets. The last few drawings we've gotten some.

So what would you do if you won?

Lump sum or payments?

Charity or no charity?

Family sharing or selfish spending lol!!

Cars boats houses?

Tell the world or not even tell your cat or dog?

But most of all would you faint? Drop dead? Or say screw it and wait 6 months lol.

I saw a nice article that broke down lump sum vs payments

Annuity makes more over long term from lotto itself- HOWEVER it showed that if you can get a  3 to 4% return- after 30 years the lump actually yeilded more ( based around a 3 million winning and no spending)

As far as telling peeps  I'd rather not........HOWEVER     in   some states  you can't keep yourself anonymous  and you have no chance to hide it.  They announce it for you   which I think is an invasion of privacy but what do I know

Myself I'd get a moderate house, new truck,  and some self entertaining stuff and try to live my life a little above the means I'm currently at  and have no worries...... going big  is  a no no especailly if you dont have a rock solid  plan to get returns on your money.

All academic as they say however, for arguments sake, let's say that lump sum for this Wednesday, after taxes, is a check for 600 million.

If your investments are pulling 3-4% a year you aren't investing. Those returns are way too conservative. But hey, again, let's just roll with 5% returns annually.

5% on 600 million.

Now, again, capital gains and other taxes abound (for reasons mostly good - a whole other discussion there....) but let's say that those expenses pull off half of your investment returns annually. That leaves an effective return yearly of 2.5% but hey, screw it, lets round down to 2%.

That's 2 bucks for every 100 returned yearly after taxes. $1000? That's $20 of course. 

$200 on $10,000

$2000 on $100,000.

$20,000 a year - in-pocket - on every million stashed.

Times 600...

A paltry 12 million a year and your principle remains intact.

That's a million dollars a month of walking around money. $30,000 a day.

Don't like my estimates? Cut it in half. Make it $500,000 a month and a mere $15,000 a day. And you still have 600 million in the bank.

I think, dear Turnbull, you could live a little more above your means than you stated.

I agree with you tbt on the announcement in some states.

When you are dealing with millions of dollars I don't think anyone should be required to tell or have their name out out there. That's how people get robbed, harassed, ect.

Flitter nice break down. I think I'd go annual payments honestly. 1) you won't blow it in 2 years

2) you will actually get almost the entire amount you won vs the lump sums amount (except taxes) but that's always a thing.

Over the lifetime of the annuity payments you would be better off lump sum. IF you were 18? Maybe annual. 30? Ehhh...

Again, at this amount, the level of catastrophic stupidity one must have to blow it is difficult to quantify. The reason most lotto winners lose it all is they get a few million banked (sub 40) and then use it exclusively as a piggy bank. Sure, it's invested, but they keep pulling from it without a clue in the world and the crap they spend it on...

All academic as they say however, for arguments sake, let's say that lump sum for this Wednesday, after taxes, is a check for 600 million.

If your investments are pulling 3-4% a year you aren't investing. Those returns are way too conservative. But hey, again, let's just roll with 5% returns annually.

5% on 600 million.

Now, again, capital gains and other taxes abound (for reasons mostly good - a whole other discussion there....) but let's say that those expenses pull off half of your investment returns annually. That leaves an effective return yearly of 2.5% but hey, screw it, lets round down to 2%.

That's 2 bucks for every 100 returned yearly after taxes. $1000? That's $20 of course. 

$200 on $10,000

$2000 on $100,000.

$20,000 a year - in-pocket - on every million stashed.

Times 600...

A paltry 12 million a year and your principle remains intact.

That's a million dollars a month of walking around money. $30,000 a day.

Don't like my estimates? Cut it in half. Make it $500,000 a month and a mere $15,000 a day. And you still have 600 million in the bank.

I think, dear Turnbull, you could live a little more above your means than you stated.

Yeah my coworkers have went over all kinds of break downs but Flitter yeah.. I'm a man of simple taste and this is not your average jackpot.    I'd have a bomb diggity house  no doubt and nice cars but mostly i'd just go about doing whatever I felt like :P

Not tell anyone... Invest 500 million.  Live off the interest.  With the other 100 million.  I'd buy myself a new truck.  Pay someone to finish my house.  Give up to 30 million away to friends and family.  Kick back and enjoy my free time and go on as many adventures as possible.  Hike the CDT, PCT, Te Araroa.

One thing for sure is that I would not be buying a bunch of crap.  Inevitably, it would affect my lifestyle, but I would want to stay as close to how I am as possible.  I'd still be cooking my own dinners, changing my own oil in my car and eating out just a few times a month.  Although I might break down and hire someone to come in and clean my house once a week... that would be a nice luxury.

• Like 1

So, there were no winning tickets.  Something like 10 people got all but one number and they have to split 1 million, but no true winner so it rolled over.

I'm in a pool with 117 other people.  Also, we went in with as a 'friend of a friend.'   If the group got the winning ticket they would automatically go for the lump sum and split it 117 ways.  Friends of friends of the pool only get a percentage of the percentage that the original friend gets.  So, long story short I would get something like $100,000 if the pool had the only winning ticket.  If the pool has to split it with another winner then it is a percentage of half of the percentage that the friend would get. 

Yay gambling!

S.

actually I bit the bullet called tela-doc he prescribed me some tami flu and some other funky stuff for flu/ upper respiratory infection so I stopped and got 5 lines while I was out. It sucked to. Im sweating bullets breaking a fever pumping gas in this 30 some degree chill.

Just don't pass out when you win lol! Some news report will say paramedic missing lol!!