Lag Issues

heroman758

Ok, I'm not sure if this has been discussed but I didnt see any other posts on the topic so I'll bring it up.

There has been some significant lag problems on both servers over the last month or so. Everyone comments on it, and I know it wasn't always this bad. There are moments every single day where the game will freeze for a couple moments. I usually assume its just me, but then I hear six or seven others say things like "whoa lag spike" or "did the server almost crash" and I realize it was the server that froze up. Now I'm to the point where every lag spike has me waiting to count how many others bring it up. Not to mention the majority of people now have pings in the orange and red regularly. I'm curious to know what our options are to fix the problem?

I know back from when I was an admin for a server in Minecraft that restarting the host computer/physical host machine sometimes helped the problem. Usually all we had to do was turn it off around the time server population dropped to the low (around midnight PST, 3 AM EST, 8AM for you English folks) and we would leave it off for 5 or 6 hours while people weren't playing. Then we started the computer up again after it had time to cool off and things would run smoothly again. Doing this like once or twice a month kept things running smoothly.

If that wasn't working sometimes we had to have the connections to the host machine checked just to make sure none of the wires or receivers were wearing down, maybe make sure the hardware didn't need repairs/replacing. Basic maintenance, just to make sure the machine was operating at its best.

I'm not entirely certain of what the setup for hosting the servers is, but if this is possible, trying it might fix some of the issues the servers have been having. If this isn't possible, are there other options we can take individually to make things better? I've already tried switching to ethernet (which makes your ping like 20-30 and its awesome) and I've used computers with very good processing power and the lag is still there, so I'm not so sure its a problem user-side. But maybe there is something we can do?

We don't have access to reboot the whole machine and it looks like the individual apps are restarted daily. Can you start logging the exact times this happens? Does it only happen when the server is full? Is it always the same time of day?

I'd be glad to see if I can figure something out

From what I've noticed so far, its not entirely dependent upon how many people are in the server. I've had bad lag with 3 and 20 people. Like I mentioned above, people's pings are regularly in the orange and red so I'm not sure how to utilize ping as a benchmarker, besides the fact that pings are generally a lot higher. I will start writing down times of day when the server noticeably hiccups, as well as players online and the few highest pings I can see. Hopefully that gives us a better clue to go off of!

It could be noisy neighbors or a bad plugin. I would need the exact date/time to know for sure, even then I need to enable the console debug to really see. Does it only happen for a few seconds? would there be enough time to IM me as it happens?

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes there is time to message you, and sometimes its just a really noticeable spike. I'm starting a new thread for the lag/glitch log so that others can help add to it in a more visually appealing place. Would you or someone else be able to mark it so that it stays near the top of the forum, so that others who report stuff can find it easier?

• Like 1