Server Lag Issues Log

heroman758

Hello GC people! I'm putting together a log of the significant moments of lag within the servers, so that hopefully we can root out what is causing them! If you can, please help me compile a fuller log as I cannot be on the server all day long. While playing, keep a piece of paper next to you or your phone or something and just write down any moments you see that could be added to this log.

Here's what to look for:

Significant gameplay problems

~"Rubberbanding" - The server jumps backwards a few seconds. Sometimes it is preceeded by a quick freeze of the server, but you'll still be able to move around.

~Frame rate drops - If the game is moving like a stop motion film, this is probably a frame rate issue. Make sure to double check with the rest of the server to make sure its a server wide problem and not just you!

~Delayed Actions - The server is responding to your button presses, mouse clicks, etc. with a noticeable delay. A big one is not being able to aim accurately because your character is not moving at the same time as your mouse is.

~Ping Spikes - Look for server-wide ping spikes. If a large number of players suddenly jump into red pings (200+), then note that down!

~Server crashes - These may or may not be related, but report when they happen just in case so we can cross them off the list

What to note down for your reports:

~Time it happens - Write down what time the specific event occurred. We will want to convert it to Central Standard Time (CST) since that is the physical server time. If you just want to use the time checking command in game to find the time that works. Otherwise, write down things in your time and convert them to CST when you post.

~Number of players online - This can help us figure out whether the problem lies with traffic in the servers

~Maximum ping you can see - Sometimes the server may lag just because one or two people's pings go off the deep end. Note down the highest ping you can see just in case that contributed to the issue.

~Server number - Push "H" and check the server number really quickly just so that whoever is looking through the logs doesn't look at the wrong server by mistake

~The Problem that happened - What the actual thing that happened is. (i.e. Frame rate drop, Ping Spike, etc.)

If you think of any other information that the general public can gather, please share and I'll add it to this post. Thanks in advance for helping us make the GC servers better!

• Like 2

Apologies for this set of reports, I forgot to grab the server numbers. I've added that to the above info to get section!

January 27th

10:09 AM - 2 people online, Max ping ~140, frame rate drops

10:14 AM - 2 people online, Max ping ~140, Server nearly crashed

6:51 PM, 20 people online, Max ping ~240, Rubberbanding issue

January 28th

1:30 - 3:00 PM, between 10 and 20 people, Regular ping spikes above 400

February 2nd

10:30PM - 12:00AM, 9-20 people, Very severe frame rate drops and a couple rubberbanding instances (don't have times on those specifically, sorry)

February 3rd

10:45AM - 12PM, 20 people, Max ping ~280, Frame rate for infected crippling, Survivors were somewhat impacted as well

February 4th

10:45 AM, 8 people, Max ping ~440, Delayed actions making aiming nearly impossible for both teams

11:30 AM, 10 people, Max ping ~300, Server crashed

*additional note: the other server's point system was also down at this time

February 6th

8:33 PM, 20 people, Max ping ~250, Rubberbanding issue

2 AM, 18 people, Max ping ~400, Really bad delay in actions along with some scattered frame rate drops

February 7th

2:15 AM, ~18 people, Max ping ~250, Delayed actions for infected team made hitting enemy players difficult

• Like 1

i though it was just my internet conetion getting worse, but it seems it isnt just me.

this last month i've been getting those ugly freezes where you can move super fast around the map and more "lost conetion" messagues than i ever have on the servers.

i also been reading more "anyone else having lag?" on the game chat as well.

january 10, 1:10pm - 1:45 pm server 1

17-18 people in the game, my max ping was 300 something (my average is 200-220)

lag spike; i got a short freeze and was a bit behind the game, others reported having heavy lag.

map was dead air.

time taken trough thetime comand in chat

february 13, server 2

9:29 pm 18/20 people, 300 ping, got several freezes midway, others confirmed there was lag.

worth noting, at one point i noticed my ping was 170, which is weird as hell beacuse i never go below 200.

february 17, server 2

7:37 pm, 17 people, freezes, heavy entry lag.

didnt check my ping but it must have reached 1000 and then some, considering i had 1fps/entry lag for 3 minutes. 

i been having to log in these timemarks everytime i get into the server. i just cant play anymore... :/

18 february, server 2, 6pm something.

got a heavy lag spike few minutes after starting second map of dead center, i got constant freezes fo a minute and a guy named ted got kicked for ping.

might just be concidence though, nobody replied saying they had lag. madvillian (i think) told me it was all ok on his end.

had a power black out mid game so i lost the copy paste whit the rest of the info.

ok, early today we were playing dark carnival and then no mercy on server 2,

2 times people complained about lag spikes, the thing is, some said they felt it  while others said it was ok for then. the second time i noticed my ping went slighly up but in neither case got any visible lag.

this kinda comfrims that the lag spikes affect only some of the players each time, maybe its a regional thing? 

something else worth noting is that my average ping has gone from 200/220 to 280 since this thing started.

i been posting these timemarks whit the thetime prompt from the servers, but just in case, my timezone its -4:30

Hey I've noticed a pattern for some of the lag issues. There seems to be a significantly higher chance people will lag on certain maps.

The ones I've noticed are:

~Dark Carnival - Highway (first map)

~Parish - Bridge (finale)

~The entire Hard Rain campaign

~Swamp Fever - Swamp (second map) and Shantytown (third map)

~Dead Air (finale) [rarer than the rest]

It could just be that these maps have more objects to render within player visibility, or maybe there's something else behind it. It might be worth checking into.

Also I have no noticed any severe lag issues over the last couple weeks, but I've been distracted playing LA Noire so I don't have any reports to give.

• 2 weeks later...