Nerf the hunter

zero0

(edited)

Is there any way we can nerf these hunters.  I know it's cool, but tank points from a couple of pounces is ridiculous.  It's also the only class that leaves you pinned and then 4 people just tee off on one pounce, the "get up" animation doesn't help.  It ain't skill either, how hard is it to hit a target that isn't moving and in fact can't move for a couple of seconds, and all get tanks in just a few pounces.  No other class works this way and it's disproportionate.  Maybe cut the point value in half or something and if you are one of those that like it so much.............good, you'll get to do more of it, instead of being a tank all the time.  :hihi:

Edited by zero0
  • Like 5

Lol I actually agree with you. Landing high pounces are cool and all, but it took a couple of years to slowly realize how obnoxious it is to farm that many points so quickly. The first 3 chapters of Dead Air are almost unplayable because hunters usually succeed there easily.

Anyways, my opinion doesn't matter. I'm interested in what the community thinks about this idea. Good idea, Zero! It has potential :)

• Like 2

(edited)

The first 3 chapters of Dead Air are almost unplayable because hunters usually succeed there easily.

No they are not, the first chapter you can side step the hunters, for the second it's kinda hard not to get pounced since you got to climb up the ladder and as for the 3rd chapter, again, you can side step the hunters but that only works if you look up which sadly a lot of people don't do. Granted there will be times where you are pinned by failed hunter or a charger or a smoker and can't help getting pounced so just hope your team can get the other hunters before they get you.

The only reason I see to Nerf the hunter is that people won't feel that guilty getting pounced repeatedly.

Edited by Vilkys

(edited)

People can simply just dodge the hunters and not stand or heal in stupid places... Maybe lessen the points for piggybacking hunters? Idk

Edited by EliasPerez
  • Like 2

Hunter pounce points are disproportionate to every other infected class. Would be no different than Chargers getting something like 10 points for a successful charge or smokers for reeling someone in. Doesn't need to be dropped to nothing, but it should be looked at. Yes people need to look up more and watch for them, but that is not a reason to keep the current allotment for a pounce where it is. They are the only class that can get a tank within 4 successful hits even if they are immediately cleared.

• Like 3

The first 3 chapters of Dead Air are almost unplayable because hunters usually succeed there easily.

No they are not, the first chapter you can side step the hunters, for the second it's kinda hard not to get pounced since you got to climb up the ladder and as for the 3rd chapter, again, you can side step the hunters but that only works if you look up which sadly a lot of people don't do. Granted there will be times where you are pinned by failed hunter or a charger or a smoker and can't help getting pounced so just hope your team can get the other hunters before they get you.

The only reason I see to Nerf the hunter is that people won't feel that guilty getting pounced repeatedly.

That's why I said, "Almost." But yeah, you're not wrong though, master.

(edited)

Any chance to boost chargers per surv charge scatter by like 1? and is it possible to add pull distance pts for smokers? Also I forgot if the smoker death pull rewarded the player pts like how the charger gets death pts for charging someone out. Or maybe have it be, the last SI player to have attacked the survivor resulting in a fall death rewards that player the kill with pts.

Edited by Meng
  • Like 4

Seems like the same thread every time. People that never use hunters saying they are overpowered, and people that only use hunters saying they aren't. Obviously I use hunters all the time, but I wouldn't even care if they got a slight nerf. Not cutting their points in half, but around 10 per pounce sounds right to me.

If you land your first 5 high pounces in the round and don't get skeeted or even dodged a single time, the survivors are doing something wrong. 

• Like 4

It ain't skill either, how hard is it to hit a target that isn't moving and in fact can't move for a couple of seconds, and all get tanks in just a few pounces.

If it is easy, everyone would do it. People miss pounces because of god frames every map.

Hunter pounce points are disproportionate to every other infected class.

Yea they are, anyone that uses hunter can't really disagree.

If a hunter lands on a person that isn't in get-up motion, basically what I call a "yolo hunter" those are the most difficult, *12.5 is deserved*. The pounces on recovering survivors should obviously be worth less. None-the-less 10 points is a fair adjustment. I'm afraid it only band-aids the problem. Stacked teams will still land the pounces, have tanks at key chokes, and the lesser team will still struggle. If learning hunter pounce areas at least the most common vanilla areas is too much ask "pls", learn them and look up. You will be surprised at the hunter success rate by merely spotting it and back-peddling.

Hunter points being nerf'd.. What do I really think about it? Half of me says about time maybe nerf a little more, and the other half says I feel sorry for the poor souls forced to carry.. Yes it may take longer to wipe but the damage inflicted from every landed pounce is the same.. One team's death prolonged as they are pounced into oblivion. "Ask for POINTS!!!" Gandalf exclaimed.

I just hope nerfs are to balance the game. Not to make it easy for every team to make to the saferoom easy every game. Honestly @Jackie *FOR GOD'S SAKE! Give the smoker more points for pulls." It is an ongoing joke of a class. If they won't receive any modifications *as to keep the server vanilla* at least give them more points. I personally feel like it wouldn't be a game breaker. As to how much or if it will even happen. That is for you to decide.

Increase damage for jockies?

If you increase points for jockey. People will spam, like they did with the charger before the heal patch. I can think of several maps when people are jockey'd away for a complete joy ride for 25pts in less than 30 seconds into the round? and you want to increase...

Maybe we should make another thread for other topics. I did not mean to change the topic for hunter balancing to smoker and commenting about jockey. I'll start another thread for other topics eventually and will only respond to hunter comments here..

Laters

Hunters are not that easy, it takes time to know when and how to do it, And also a well amount of practice if you want to do wall jump just as many of the guys know.

Experienced players should know where's the hunters spots, so if you are still getting pounce at the same spots..... dude..... why.....

Obviously new players would always be the ones who look for, but it is not just for hunters, but for chargers, smokers, jockeys, etc... A experienced player can take advantage of a new player just with a charger or a jockey.

If a 25 damage high pounce isnt that much of skill, then avoiding them needs no skill at all.

BTW: the hunter "get up" animation is tricky, someone needs to know exactly when to pounce when it is in animation, if not, you dont get it; except when you're getting up from a charger, thats when the aimbotting guys appear.

• Like 1

Hunters are not that easy

It takes hundreds of hours of practice. In some cases 1000+. The struggle to become comfortable and learn all the small nuances of the craft goes overlooked by many. You can master the hunter completely and still be shut down by good survivor play.. All the hours I have invested into the hunter... I look back at them now.. In the spirit of keeping it competitive.. I say let them nerf hunter. It is only a band-aid though. The problem is not the hunter. I've read in all chat on multiple occasions people complain of dying because of pounces.

Making it to the saferoom is not a right no matter how many hours you have in the game. It is a right of passage that is to be earned every time you play Left 4 Dead 2 whether it be on GC or else where. If you don't want to be pounced and subsequently tanked because of it invest time in the smallest of counter measures. Do not look for the individual using the hunter to show mercy... It is but the greatest reward for something you practice so diligently to come into fruition.

Hunters are not easy. Adjust the points of pounces all together will only hurt the losing team. Try carrying in a stack game when you have to land 4 to 5 pounces just to get a tank. Are there other means to gaining points? I didn't say there wasn't. As I said before I feel the adjustment is more or less as close to fair as you can get. I just hope the agenda is for balance and not to help make it any easier to make it to the saferoom.

If you want to see the saferoom, and can't because it is too difficult playing 10v10 jeez idk. Maybe try campaign? At-least that's what I hear on the server all the time being ranted to new players.. No one ever tells established players that are not the best at killing special infected to try that method. It's only fair that I mention that last part.

Edited by EliteGandalf
  • Like 1

. Honestly @Jackie *FOR GOD'S SAKE! Give the smoker more points for pulls." It is an ongoing joke of a class. If they won't receive any modifications *as to keep the server vanilla* at least give them more points. I personally feel like it wouldn't be a game breaker. As to how much or if it will even happen. That is for you to decide.

I could do that. I'm open for adjusting it. I've never been keen on using smokers when playing, but I'll try to tweak a good balance.

(edited)

ok, hunter 1 pounces new player from 50,000 feet bouncing off walls that don't exist in the map.  Gets pounce.  Then the get up animation (or an incap which makes all of this way worse) holds said player in the sames spot for a few seconds, meanwhile the 4 other hunters that have been waiting pounce at the same non-moving target, getting just as many points off from the initial pounce.  If a charger charges someone for a few points and then there is a chain charge the subsequent chargers don't stack the same points as the initial charge.  If someone  smokes someone for several seconds and gets 10 points and that smoker is killed and a subsequent smoker smokes someone for 1 second as the player is getting up, the subsequent smoker doesn't get 10 points too.  When two boomers hit the same group of 5 survivors they don't both get points and double down on the boomer points, only 1 will get credit.  When 4 people spit in one location  they will all get individual points, but at least the person in spit can move out of the spiit! and or buy up, they are not pinned and there is no animation to contend with...................and none of these other classes in any of these examples is getting a tank in four attacks on ONE person, plus the three other copy cats in subsequent pounces.  A spitter isn't getting it, a boomer isn't getting it, a smoker isn't getting it, a charger isn't getting it, a jockey isn't getting it, but a hunter gets it in an attack that lasts less than a second on one person.  There is no need to play with any other class, the hunter is the only one that's not in line with the others.  All of these other arguments to the contrary really have nothing to do with disproportional points given to one class for a single attack on a single person that lasts less than a second.  I can choke someone TO DEATH with a smoker  and not get the points a hunter gets for a few seconds of work.

Edited by zero0
  • Like 1

Hunters are not that easy, it takes time to know when and how to do it, And also a well amount of practice if you want to do wall jump just as many of the guys know.

Experienced players should know where's the hunters spots, so if you are still getting pounce at the same spots..... dude..... why.....

Obviously new players would always be the ones who look for, but it is not just for hunters, but for chargers, smokers, jockeys, etc... A experienced player can take advantage of a new player just with a charger or a jockey.

If a 25 damage high pounce isnt that much of skill, then avoiding them needs no skill at all.

BTW: the hunter "get up" animation is tricky, someone needs to know exactly when to pounce when it is in animation, if not, you dont get it; except when you're getting up from a charger, thats when the aimbotting guys appear.

You don't get 12.5 points for a 1 second jockey, or a 1 second charge on a new player that you are taking advantage of

Liv
(edited)

I agree with Zero0 on this one, most hunters just pounce the same person while they are stunned/incapped and get a ton of points for it. It would be nice if when you pounce a person first you get the points from it. But for the next person who pounces right after you immediately should get about half the points that you got, for example, a 24hp high pounce is 12.5pts, they should get around 6.5 for it, if they didn't wait a few seconds. I don't know if that would be possible to modify it that way, but it would be neat in my opinion.

Edited by Liv
  • Like 3

I could do that. I'm open for adjusting it. I've never been keen on using smokers jockies when playing, but I'll try to tweak a good balance.

More points for jockies! Increase jocky dmg 10%!

!

Ok maybe 2 points if you can land a rocket jockey. but not 12.5

Uh... I get 12.5+ points from joyrides off Carlos and/or Elias all day baby.

• Like 1

@Jackie. Shout out to Mercman. You see I'm a giver. Contrary to belief <3

There is no need to play with any other class, the hunter is the only one that's not in line with the others.  All of these other arguments to the contrary really have nothing to do with disproportional points given to one class for a single attack on a single person that lasts less than a second.  I can choke someone TO DEATH with a smoker  and not get the points a hunter gets for a few seconds of work.

I know this wasn't referenced to me, but I need to understand something. First let me make sure you understand my position. I don't care that the hunter points have been nerf'd, I actually support it especially the free loading hunters. What perez said earlier in the thread was piggy-back hunters maybe need points readjusting. Piggy-back hunters are what you are referring to as subsequent hunter landing the dp's. There isn't much corporation with hunters more or less it's like male lions from different coalitions when it comes to vanilla pouncing on targets in the getup motion. Every now and again they work together, but most of the time people steal your free pounce all the time or you miss due to god frames. More or less it is by far the easiest pounce to learn. I've felt that should honestly be worth slightly more than a pounce on an incap. *If there was someone to track this @Jackie that would be awesome. Lol it's probably not worth the time though. Just for competitive players to see who is piggy-backing to say that they are good.

There isn't much fuss to be had about the topic honestly. My concerns lie with trying to figure out where you draw the line with nerf'n and buffing. I look at it like this competitive players want to be the best in every sport including gaming. Would you awp  nerf'd next to where it would take atleast 2 shots to kill boomers and smokers.. Will tanks prices be increased if this doesn't stop the endless tank spawns? Will there be 1 tank spawn limit added? Competitive players will flock to classes that give them the biggest reward. Some people are willing to invest the time if the reward is worth it. To most the investment of learning to control hunter as infected/ kill hunter as survivors is not worth the time for one reason or another.

Nerf hunter @zero but to what end? Where do you draw your line..

Do we need a cooperative server 10 or 20 v bots? Maybe a no tank server. This isn't sarcasm. Seriously might need a more social based lobby. Maybe think of a way to separate try hards from casual players. Or simply manually adjust. Idk. It's pretty easy to tell if a team is stacked after a scramble instead of adjusting the general consensus is *there is no scramble until after first 2 rounds. Because the first sound is considered to be a fluke* Then let's all complain about hunters and stacked teams after you knowing let the heavy weights beat the crap out of the light weights.

There isn't a need to over exaggerate about any of this... We know how much you get for a rocket jockey vs. a dp...

Edited by EliteGandalf