Server 2 or 3 as a custom map only server

zero0

Another member came up with this idea casually in game last night, but it sounded like a good one.  I don't know how feasible it is, but I figured I would put it out there and see if there is any input.  What about making one of the servers a custom maps only server.  It just does custom maps and maybe we get a dozen of them on there.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Sure, the members here deserve their fun playing custom maps. If a 3rd server does end up existing, then a custom map only set-up sounds like a good idea.

I think the 2nd server remaining with the normal maps is fine as it is. If for some reason the 1st server crashes/lags/gets disabled, then you have the 2nd server available for new players and regular members who feel like playing a normal map.

• Like 1

1. It simply would not get enough traffic to get full games unless something was coordinated.  You would have partial 12/20 or 5/20 player games most of the time because not everyone who would visit the server would have the campaign.  Your average person who gets kicked from the server for not having the campaign will move on elsewhere.

2. Custom campaigns are unstable in a 10v10 environment as it is.  Lots of them end up crashing the server partway through.

3. Too many custom campaigns in one person's workshop subscription list (or have downloaded at once) cause instabilities client-side.  Meaning broken models/textures and crashing with conflicting custom campaigns.

The problem is, while it might be popular for a short time, it will not get enough people playing it to make it work.  Having a separate server running customs 24 hours a day, means the majority of the time will only have a few people playing in it.  Same with putting one in the rotation, the vast majority of the time, you will just empty out the server when it comes up. 

For it to work, we have to run customs at a time when most regulars are playing.  Telling people ahead of time helps ensure we will have enough on the server to make it work.  The other night we ran 2 custom campaigns and it was filled, I even left so others could play in my spot.  We didn't plan it much in advance, but we chose a time when most people are available, we announced it to the server (which was already filled with mostly members) and I put a quick note on the forums about it.

My suggestion is for one or more of you to just step up, pick a day and time and promote it.  Just make sure you are there.  Right now, it is tough for you guys to rely on me to do it.  But if one or more of you wants to do it, please set it up.  If you give the day and time, I can change the MOTD to have the information too.  You can run them as much as you want, but just make sure you are there and you are getting the people in to play it. 

• Like 1

I see what your saying, but honestly it seems like only one server is full at a time now anyways, partially maybe because it's the same old maps and the game itself is getting long in the tooth.  I was thinking some custom maps might breath some life into the servers.  It just seems like server 2 and 3 are just doing nothing most of the time.  I guess a dozen maps were ambitious, but even a few might be fun.  Not a big deal just thought it was a fun idea.

Well, would we be able to integrate other versus game types into the 3rd server? For example mutations like Taaaaaaaaaaaaank! and Versus Survival? Things where you dont require any additional downloads since they're a part of the game. Theres a ton of fun mutations that work with versus that would be fun to mix into the regular competition we have now.

• Like 4

I for one would like to see it happen but unfortunately server 2 spends more time offline that when is on-line people just don't want to play on it because well, it'll crash or die again on them. 

I think we should try to set up times and days to run things more often (customs, pathing, vip, maybe even maps that we never play - swamp, cold stream).  I would set up some things, but my personal life is too hectic and unpredictable at the moment.  Just need an admin to do it.  If you are not an admin but want to get it going, contact an admin and talk them in to it.  Then post the day and time in the forum.  It will help draw out the people (at the same time) that want to do something different.

If an admin needs my help in organization or commands for the server or whatever, please contact me.