New Points System Addition

JackieChan

Announcing The "Better Late Than Never" Point Retention Update!
(Because the word "retention" sounds cooler)

*NOT LIVE YET* Thrown on the server already

This new update will allow players who disconnect to retain their points for when they come back.  This one is for you, frequent crashers.  There are a few stipulations that must be met when resetting your points to what was lost when you crashed/timed out:

-Map you disconnected on must match what is currently being played

-It must be the same map half you played on when you disconnected (if the half ends when you come back, you won't get your points back)

-The time in which you disconnected and reconnected must be within 3 minutes (this can be adjusted if necessary).

I've been thinking about how to do this for a while and this appears to work in the extremely small scale I got it to work in...me and one other person.

Along with this update, which I will add in the pinned thread, will also have the following changes:

-Smokers will get slightly more points for damage

-Jockeys will get slightly more points for damage

-Hunters max damage pounce award increased to 8 to be a nice round number

-Gas cans/fireworks will be 1 point more expensive

-Gas can/firework limits will be reduced to 4 per player.

Again, this update it not live yet. (Just the gas cans/fireworks tweaks are not live yet) Before it do so though, I'd like to gather some feedback first before anything changes...also to let you guys know what to expect and be aware if there any bugs or whatnot that happens to let me know instead of just it happening without me knowing...as I don't play L4D2 much anymore.

• Like 9

I like every change that's being made,hunters getting upped to 8 points per max pounce is awesome!! But it will still take atleast 5 max pounces to get a tank,unless players don't kill hunter fast and let him get addition damage.

-Smokers will get slightly more points for damage -Jockeys will get slightly more points for damage

YESSSS

Gas cans/fireworks will be 1 point more expensive

neat.

-Gas can/firework limits will be reduced to 4 per player.

i rarely use more than 3 in any given map. any map that isnt mainstreet, sweet farming spot that one.

Oh boy! That update of recovering your lost points once you crash sounds awesome!! Thank you for that :)

On a side note: For those of you that experience game crashes every 90 minutes (approximately), I found a way to stop that. If you leave the GAME (NOT JUST the server, the GAME itself) and then rejoin the server, this will reset your future game crash.

For example, if you play for about an hour, you're probably going to be more likely to crash within the next 30 minutes. Leaving the game entirely and rejoining the server is going to reset your game crash for another 90 minutes. This means you won't experience any game crashes if you use this counter-tactic. Trust me, it actually works.

I know leaving the game and rejoining the server might be similar to crashing. However, you'll at least be in control when you leave the game instead of just crashing randomly in the middle of a round. I recommend leaving/rejoining the server once a chapter ends or something. Again, this is for the people that experience game crashes every 90 minutes or so.

Hopefully, this update will allow you to retrieve your lost points once you rejoin the server after leaving :)

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 1

Oh boy! That update of recovering your lost points once you crash sounds awesome!! Thank you for that :)

On a side note: For those of you that experience game crashes every 90 minutes (approximately), I found a way to stop that. If you leave the GAME (NOT JUST the server, the GAME itself) and then rejoin the server, this will reset your future game crash.

For example, if you play for about an hour, you're probably going to be more likely to crash within the next 30 minutes. Leaving the game entirely and rejoining the server is going to reset your game crash for another 90 minutes. This means you won't experience any game crashes if you use this counter-tactic. Trust me, it actually works.

I know leaving the game and rejoining the server might be similar to crashing. However, you'll at least be in control when you leave the game instead of just crashing randomly in the middle of a round. I recommend leaving/rejoining the server once a chapter ends or something. Again, this is for the people that experience game crashes every 90 minutes or so.

Hopefully, this update will allow you to retrieve your lost points once you rejoin the server after leaving :)

Yeah, this has been something I've been meaning to add for a long time, but couldn't think of a way to do it.  I was thinking "cookies" would be the answer, but again, didn't know how to implement it.  Figured out how and thanks to a short spur of time to Dixie and then the next day Peanut for testing it with me, I got it working for myself.  I'll just have to add it on the server in a large scale...the Point Retention first, then the other changes

• Like 1

On a side-note, Carlos, any time when you actually disconnect from the game be it a time out due to a crash or manually disconnect is when it grabs the data it needs for when you rejoin the server.  I was using a forward native called "OnClientDisconnect" to gather the data when you disconnect...not knowing it ALSO fires upon map changes which I find a bit misleading.  So I had to hook the actual engine event instead which is used for when players actually leave the server (due to manually dc'ing or timing out) and not during map changes. 

Again, if any bugs occur, please post in this tread informing me of such and try to be as descriptive as possible (time it happened, when it happened, did you just connect, what was going on when it happened, etc., etc., etc.).

Since Carlos and Peanut seem to be fellow contenders of the "Crashing Bandits", I'll be counting on you guys to give me input as well...like if you actually get your points back or not.

• Like 2

Last night, I tried my method of leaving/rejoining to reset my game crash. I rejoined my old team in that same round, but I didn't get my points I had before I left. I was in the infected team, and the map we were playing was Swamp Fever.

I left/rejoined twice in that same campaign. The first time I exited my game ENTIRELY and rejoined the server a minute later; which is my method I use to reset my game crashes. The second time I simply left the server and rejoined again seconds later. I didn't recover the points I lost either way.

By the way, I only experimented the point retention on Swamp Fever so far. I don't know if it works for the other campaigns. I'm not sure if you HAVE to actually crash in order to recover your points. I'll try investigating the point retention again later tonight, and let you know what happens.

Edited by Carlos

Also guys, if you can, you can type in "!savepoints" or "sm_savepoints" (in console) to manually save the point data (even though it does it automatically) and you can view the cookie data by typing "sm_cookies" in console with one of the following:

l4d2_points_pointcookie

l4d2_points_mapcookie

l4d2_points_timecookie

l4d2_points_roundcookie

You can't directly change the values for reasons obviously known, but you can view them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday on the first map of Dead center I was playing as infected. The server crashed just about halfway through. When i rejoined the server, the round had just begun and i was now on the survivor team, but with the 35 points i had previously farmed as infected prior to the server crash.

Dunno if its fixable or even if its a problem that occurs frequently enough to be dealt with, but it made it a pretty easy round :)

On a sidenote the enemy team had Peanut so we would have probably won either way:P

-Bambi

• Like 1

Yesterday on the first map of Dead center I was playing as infected. The server crashed just about halfway through. When i rejoined the server, the round had just begun and i was now on the survivor team, but with the 35 points i had previously farmed as infected prior to the server crash.

Dunno if its fixable or even if its a problem that occurs frequently enough to be dealt with, but it made it a pretty easy round :)

On a sidenote the enemy team had Peanut so we would have probably won either way:P

-Bambi

Thanks for the report.  I'll see if I can figure some way around it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

why is your game crashing all the time?

why is your game crashing all the time?

My PC kinda sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to retain the other stats as well?? Because after you reconnect, these are all back to 0.

Example:

Survivors: CI killed, SI killed, Headshots, etc..

Infected: Survivors incapped, survivors killed, survivors charged, pounced, etc..