Guitar Lessons

Carlos

No, not by me you crazy fools! :P

For those of you that haven't been exposed to his guitar skills, please allow me to introduce to you all the gift of Joda. Drink it man! :)

Check out this video he made. You guys are going to be soo impressed by him!

Edit: I'm sorry about posting a link that you need to click on to see this video. I thought it would be available automatically for everyone to see it.

Edited by Carlos

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for joda.

ive taken a beginners class, learned and forgot the basic cords,then lost interest for a bit. Then i wanted to learn how to finger pick, so i learned and forgot  a couple times how to finger pick some basic scales. Just tryin to develop some basic fingering skills and lost interest again. so now im gonna be traveling and i want to start playin again. What are some good basic exercises i can do to just develop overall good playing techniques?

I have zero actual music knowledge(reading music and such) other than that 1 class its been me learnin from tabs and utube and anything other than a slow blues beat and i look like steve martin in  "the jerk"

any suggestions would be great

thx

Practicing has alot to do with developement i'm sure you've heard that with anything; I never took lessons and idk how to read actual sheet music either haha so don't get discouraged from that. Also a note for finger picking, i like to make sure i keep my nails short on both hands while playing. Some good exercises you can do to develop your skill, take something that you have a hard time doing (for me i have  hard time doing sweet picking); start off slow and then make your way doing it faster. However I like to start off with learning something at a fast pace so i know what i'm dealing with, then i slow it down (if that makes any sense). Something that will really help you develop skills without learning scales or something formal, is picking a song you REaLLY like and try to learn it. You have the most connection with this song and motivation to learn it (which will make you enjoy it and enjoy hearing yourself play the notes). So when there's a hard part in the song that normally you don't think you can do, since it's a tune you really are connected with it'll be more natural for you and that's how I developed myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for joda.

ive taken a beginners class, learned and forgot the basic cords,then lost interest for a bit. Then i wanted to learn how to finger pick, so i learned and forgot  a couple times how to finger pick some basic scales. Just tryin to develop some basic fingering skills and lost interest again. so now im gonna be traveling and i want to start playin again. What are some good basic exercises i can do to just develop overall good playing techniques?

I have zero actual music knowledge(reading music and such) other than that 1 class its been me learnin from tabs and utube and anything other than a slow blues beat and i look like steve martin in  "the jerk"

any suggestions would be great

thx

I'm the same in this as Joda. Never learnt any sheet music or anything. Got taught the basic chords and just ran with it. Only play music i like, and sing along to what i like. 

It's also good to lower the difficulty on some segments yourself. For example take Heartbeats by Jose Gonzales. That's not an easy pick to do, however you can just change it to chords, then learn to tab the chords a bit, then steadily switch over to the real tab. 

Same with Under the Bridge by RHCP. That's a fun one cuz it's not the easiest, but with a little practice you can really start making it sound like the original. 

I did it with this song: 

I couldn't play the real tab and sing at the same time, so i toned the music part down (a lot). It sounds really minimalistic but you can get away with a lot. 

Also: switch between trying a hard song till you get tired of it, go back to playing easy fun stuff a bit and then return to the hard songs. You'll notice you can suddenly pull off chords you couldn't before.

Good luck!

Edited by TheDude

• 2 weeks later...

While my guitar skills are below average I am an active musician who has been playing for 25+ years (20 of those semi-professionally). It all comes down to practice. If you don't use it, you lose it. In my case, I used to play keyboards in a band but when we folded 2 years ago I haven't played since. With regards to your situation though, I do play a stringed instrument of sorts in another band and the same principle applies. Practice whenever you can, just sit down and play along with a song you like. Even if it's basic bar chords to start. Learn your chord positions and inversions if possible.

If you really want to forward your music, sign up for some basic musical theory courses. I took musical theory for 2 years and it did wonders for me. I wouldn't be the musician I am today without that.