New Build!

Hey everyone,

With all the strides in technology these past few years my PC has become somewhat obsolete with respect to gaming. Even though I don't play much anymore I still want a PC that can play those big games should I chose to dive into one (which will most likely happen). My brother was kind enough to design a system for me. Let me know what you think!

CPU - Intel Core i5-6600K

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2133C15D-16GVR DDR4 2133MHZ 16GB(8GBX2) Memory Kit

Graphics - some yet-to-be-determined version of nVidia GeForce GTX 1070

Storage 1 - Samsung 850 Evo 120GB (OS drive)

Storage 2 - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (games drive)

Storage 3 - WD Black 2TB (WD2003FZEX) (data drive - optional)

Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B1ST

Case - Fractal Design Define R5 (Black)

PSU - Seasonic X-850

I am by no means your typical computer guy who keeps up with all the latest tech so I'd love to hear from those of you who do!

Thanks

X

Edited by Xterminator

• 3 weeks later...

beefcake...  I was going back and reading through these tech forums yesterday.  It was so active back in the day.  You could post a system like this and tons of people would chime in, now its 3 weeks since this was posted and no one has replied.   Ahh the early internet days...   these were the only forums I used.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, the build is done! I had to make one small change though, couldn't get the Samsung 850 Evo 120GB (OS drive) in time so I decided to go with a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (OS drive). It was a little more expensive but my local computer store had it in stock. I was planning on doing the build this weekend but I couldn't wait any longer. I have yet to see if everything works *crosses fingers* but I'll worry about that tomorrow.

Here are some pics:

post-34-0-70901000-1477025079_thumb.jpgpost-34-0-35171900-1477025081_thumb.jpgpost-34-0-46268900-1477025098_thumb.jpgpost-34-0-36668100-1477025100_thumb.jpg

Good news, it booted up first try and I had no issues with installations. The only issues I ran into are with the video card.

The first issue is that I can't get HDMI working. My monitor supports it but when I plug it in nothing happens. This is a known problem with the 1080 and I have yet to find a solution.

The second problem also rates to the 1080. I downloaded the latest drivers but couldn't installed them due to a compatibility issue. I was trying to install the Windows 10 64 bit drivers with no luck so I just downgraded to an older driver. It works so I guess that's a win. I haven't found a solution for this issue either. I'll just wait for the next drivers to come out and hope the issue resolves itself.

All that is left to do is to transfer data over from my old machine. That will only take forever *sigh*

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...