Getting a new phone

Yortz

In the market looking to get a new phone. I currently own a iPhone 6 and getting either the iPhone 7+ or Samsung Note 7 (once the exploding battery issue is fixed).

I mostly use my phone to listen to music, Binge on YouTube and emailing. I like all the Samsung Note 7 has to offer but I'm hesitant with it because you can't organize music like iTunes, and I'm also hesitant towards the iPhone 7+ because they effing removed the headphone jack. Any opinion/input would help, thanks.

I recently got the Moto Z Force and they also removed the headphone jack on that. It's not really that big of a deal to be honest. It came with a little 3" converter from USB-C to 3.5mm for headphones. 

My only gripe is that I'm still trying to buy a couple more converters but Verizon doesn't have the Motorola ones in stock yet since it's so new. I'd like to keep one at work, one at home, and one in my backpack for travel, so that's the only reason I want a couple more.

Now, if you're worried about not being able to charge and listen at the same time that's understandable. I bought the "Moto Mod" battery pack for my phone so I can just snap it in place if my battery is running low while listening.

• Like 1

I went wireless with my 6 once because the earphone that came with it finally went bad after a year of continuous use, and it was a great feeling not dealing with cords. Although sound quality wasn't better but that doesn't really bother me. I don't mind going wireless, it's just that most wireless headphones only last 5-8 hours, definitely not buying Apple's $160 5 hour wireless headset.

It comes with a converter from the lightning port to 3.5mm audio so you can use corded headphones, right?

I'll never go wireless for headphones. I listen to 8+ hours of whatever every day at work so it wouldn't make sens for me. Plus, I like to buy high end noise isolating earbuds so I can ignore coworkers. 

• Like 1

I lol'd at the ignore coworkers part as I do that too. I like the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 as it also a deadly weapon.

Yeah the lightning to 3.5mm adapter, but I can't charge and listen to music or watch naughty videos discretely now.

Though Belkin is selling that kind of adapter to charge and use music/videos with headphones.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Galaxy S7, I love it except for Samsung's bloatware that you cant remove without a 3rd party app which are unreliable at times. I left iPhones years ago purely due to my hate of iTunes..... it is one of the worst music apps ever made in my opinion. Apple has great hardware and they were smart to buy ARM processors but I just can't get in to iOS after using Android.

I am digging the recently released and the new Moto's coming out as well as the new LG, nice choice San.

The USB C connectors are annoying but you can find some cheap adapters on the internet that have DACs built in to audio processing when using headphones and are really no larger than the ones offered my the manufacturers (which I think is awesome).

Edit - All of the Nexus/Google flagships have always been on point as well, the new Pixel lineup should be pretty sweet depending how long you want to hold out.

Edited by Madvillain

Yup, one of the things I don't like about Samsung is their annoying bloatware, pretty much like a new PC. I really didn't like Apple's iTunes at first as it was the only way of adding music into my classic iPod back then, but eventually got used to it.

What impresses me about the iPhone 7/Plus is that it's speed, I've seen many comparison videos and dang, it beat Samsung a lot. But again, not really into apps or games, but a couple wouldn't hurt.

So how do you add music into your phone in those Android devices? Is it like just connect it to your computer and copy+paste?

You can get free or premiums apps that will let you create a playlist, I use the premium version of a player called PowerAmp and I can see playlist options though I have never used them. I generally listen to albums but I will use Spotify when I want a "radio station"/mix or for playlists.

Don't let me sway you one way or another (Android vs iOS) use whatever you are comfortable with and will want to use regularly.

Tough choice for me.

For the iPhone 7, it's what I'm used to but they removed the effing headphone jack, but I don't mind going wireless if I have wireless headsets that has long battery. Not really into games or apps, but it's the best one for that part.

For the Note 7, haven't used an Android device for a while, was able to get to try 1 before the store took it out of display. It was cool, was able to see the features that Apple lacks but it was laggy, so much bloatware that can't be deleted, and can't organize music the way Apple does.

Thanks for your input.

I've tried switching away from iOS to Android 4 times. I've always come back to iOS. Android isn't terrible, but I got accustomed to iOS and realized it's harder to switch than I thought.

It's nuts how expensive these things are getting, though. 

Pretty much the same for me, I gave given Apple a try and its not bad but I just can't get in to iOS.

I'm still rocking my one plus 1 from 2014. The only thing I really wish I had was the cordless charging but its not that big of a deal. I keep thinking I want a new phone but I really don't have any justification for it. I still get software updates and even run the latest cyanogenmod nightly 

If you are worried about the music thing I recommend google music. I pay $10 a month for unlimited music and you can use it with your phone. For data preservation you can create playlists and I think google music will cache stuff you listen to a lot. You can also upload your own music to it and create playlists with them.

If you are worried about the music thing I recommend google music.

I'd say 60% of my music is listened to on my laptop, 40% on my phone (car, working out, etc.). I don't mind G Music in my phone, but I can't get used to the idea of using a browser on my laptop for music. 

...but you're not talking to me ;)