• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheDude

For Honor beta

3 posts / 794 viewsLast Reply

I was amused and angered.

Rage inducing, at the very least - but also super satisfying when you are able to win the match for your team.

few thoughts:

non-dedicated servers - I understand why they don't have them, but the constant dropping of the host due to rage quitting is horrid. There should be a penalty applied for quitting mid-match, like ranked siege applies (cool down to join)

Round start - I dislike that they don't say "Round 1 - FIGHT", it is an unsatisfying 'round 1'...just feels incomplete. (its mortal combat with weapons and power-ups, might as well go for it)

Classes - I like the balance, for the most part. I know three more will be available at launch - but I wonder how many more overall? Also - will they vary the play style more? Include another faction at some point?

Feats - are these necessary? Is there a way to search for a game mode without them besides doing custom? It is arcade-y if you include the power ups too - I just want a mode without them, or at least the option.

Game modes - If it is only the three modes on launch, I would be disappointed. (4v4 is the biggest mode available...seems limiting).

Environment - Love the use of ledges, pits, etc. - really fun dynamic that forces positioning into the mix

I liked it, I had fun, but I doubt I will pick it up...unless a few of my buddies do as well. Playing with randoms doesn't seem like a good time, as the necessity for teamwork (with audio!) is essential to any type of success in team play.

• Like 1

I was amused and angered.

Rage inducing, at the very least - but also super satisfying when you are able to win the match for your team.

few thoughts:

non-dedicated servers - I understand why they don't have them, but the constant dropping of the host due to rage quitting is horrid. There should be a penalty applied for quitting mid-match, like ranked siege applies (cool down to join)

Round start - I dislike that they don't say "Round 1 - FIGHT", it is an unsatisfying 'round 1'...just feels incomplete. (its mortal combat with weapons and power-ups, might as well go for it)

Classes - I like the balance, for the most part. I know three more will be available at launch - but I wonder how many more overall? Also - will they vary the play style more? Include another faction at some point?

Feats - are these necessary? Is there a way to search for a game mode without them besides doing custom? It is arcade-y if you include the power ups too - I just want a mode without them, or at least the option.

Game modes - If it is only the three modes on launch, I would be disappointed. (4v4 is the biggest mode available...seems limiting).

Environment - Love the use of ledges, pits, etc. - really fun dynamic that forces positioning into the mix

I liked it, I had fun, but I doubt I will pick it up...unless a few of my buddies do as well. Playing with randoms doesn't seem like a good time, as the necessity for teamwork (with audio!) is essential to any type of success in team play.

I highlighted the main takeaways I had from the open beta. 

Too many times I have had an "error xxxxxxxxxxxxx" message appear and been returned to the main menu.  It didn't matter if I was playing in-game or attempting to join a session; I'd see a variation of the error message.  When I did get to play, it was fun, but I decided to wait and see if any improvements can be made to the matchmaking.  Apparently, some can play the game with only the occasional disconnect; I'm not one of them. 

I only tested 4 classes: Kensei, Nobushi, Warden, and Conqueror.  My playstyle favored Nobushi and Warden, but I mainly played Nobushi (uses long-range polearm and has a bleed mechanic). 

I only tested 2 modes: Dominion (4v4 AI, 4v4 PVP) and Elimination (4v4 AI).  Elimination seems like a good way to practice fighting and defending against other classes.  Dominion feels like Team Fortress 2 control point and Dynasty Warriors (from what little I remember playing Dynasty Warriors) combined. 

There is a loot system where you level up and receive items or scrounge items after a play session (most but not all of the time), so you can customize your character.  I have mixed feelings about this system since the higher tier weapon items seem to shift balance when a fully geared team plays one that isn't (again, this could be a mistake in matchmaking as I'm seeing screenshots of people being paired against others who have way better equipment on reddit); I could definitely be wrong, and anyone who is playing the released game can chime in and disprove this if they want.  I have no problem with the cosmetics. 

Sidenote: I liked the character animations (running, fighting, etc.) and environments. 

Did I enjoy it?  Sure, despite the technical issues.  Would I buy on Day 1 for $60.00?  Probably not although I rarely do that for any game.  Is it cool to play a multiplayer team-based game that focuses on melee combat over guns?  Yes, and I want to see more like it in the future. 

• Like 1