Effective Points & Becoming a Better Player

Shafee

I use mouse5 but you can use whatever you want.

i use enter for that one

one thing i think people should do more often, thats including me, is look around. specialy around bottleneck points.

just because you can see 8 people ahead of you and past the bottleneck point doesnt mean the last player is already trough

last night  in no mercy/the subway, when we got to the generator room i forgot to look if everybody was trough and our last 2/3 players where getting destroyed at the botton of the stairs, we all had to go back down and we got wrecked.

Good article. I also like to come on the server and practice against bots when it's empty sometimes. This is win-win because then others start joining and filling the server. Sure the bots do stupid things sometimes, but the rest of the time they headshot me too. I like to practice pouncing them lately. I am trying to get better at hitting moving targets (I tend to land right at your feet, like a sad kitten most of the time.)

I need to add more binds. I am worried about over complicating it though. Right now I only have 5 binds but I think I need to up it. I am a pretty fast typer but sometimes as survivor it's too intense to even type !sp to send points, so I might add that bind above.

• Like 2

This is a kind of noob question but maybe because I use a laptop and regular mouse, whats mouse5?  I do have a scroll wheel? Otherwise good post.   I am guilty of not asking for pts sometimes if I need over 12 ;)

I think also some people have to remember its just a game.   If you're team is losing miserably and has no real chance of winning or coming close and you keep getting skeeted by pros, just play for fun, a lot of people me included just get frustrated and rage or play sub-standard because they are so annoyed by certain pro's and the fact that I cannot come within 30 meters of the survivors, maybe try new strategies.

Speaking of new strategies I am sure everyone has noticed people always buy tanks in certain areas, and some players even criticize people for doing so in "non-traditional" areas.  If the survivors are hurting why not buy a tank.  One of the main reasons I experience ennui playing with certain players is because every single campaign is played the same way, (i.e. ok must buy tank here, choke point here, etc)   I mean obviously this is not a criticism just an observation.  But it does get a little repetitive,  which is always why I don't mind playing maps like CS, CC, Swamp, because it is more challenging (Swamp especially has no mainstream strategy) and think that we should put some customs into rotation :)  Good thoughts everyone and dhun !

Edited by whitegreyhat

For the record I like to heal out in the open waiting to get pounced, sadly hunters don't go for me unless i'm smoked or charged or boomed and horde on me and carlos is probably chasing a smoker and not helping me(btw that has happened).

!points - !buy - !sp - !ammo - !heal and !laser are the basic when it comes to binds, i for one use close to 20 binds cause well why not.

bind "2" "sm_buy" replace buy with any of the basic along with the number or letter if you'd like and type it in console.

Great reminder, Shaafe! It's fitting that you wrote this because you're the one who inspired me a couple of years by telling me that I'll get stronger in-game by playing with more players in order to improve. Now here you are sharing the wealth again with the REST of the community here with your helpful tips. The generosity is real here with you! :D

Short Ver.: DO STUFF THAT MAKES SENSE!!!

It's L4D2 GC. Nothing makes sense ;) 

For the record I like to heal out in the open waiting to get pounced, sadly hunters don't go for me unless i'm smoked or charged or boomed and horde on me and carlos is probably chasing a smoker and not helping me(btw that has happened).

Lol damn, Devil. You're like my one and only viewer when I stream. I just got thrown under the bus by my whole twitch audience there. Now I'm salty :(

LIST OF ESSENTIAL BINDS || CHANGE "x" TO YOUR PREFERRED KEYBIND

Buy Menu:
bind x "sm_buy";

Buy Full Heal:

bind x "sm_heal; wait 80; slot10";

Send Points:

bind x "sm_sp; menuselect 1; menuselect 2; menuselect 1; wait 80; slot0";
Molly:
bind x "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 6; menuselect 1; menuselect 1; wait 80; slot10";
Bile:
bind x "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 6; menuselect 3; menuselect 1; wait 80; slot10";
Ammo:
bind x "sm_ammo";
Fireworks:
bind x "sm_buy; menuselect 4; menuselect 7; menuselect 1; wait 80; slot10;";
AK-47:
bind x "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 3; menuselect 3; menuselect 1; wait 80; slot10";
Laser:
bind x "sm_laser";
Melee (most of the time works):
bind x "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 1; menuselect 6; menuselect 1; wait 80; slot10;
Pills:
bind x "sm_buy; menuselect 3; menuselect 3; menuselect 1; wait 80; slot10";
Adrenaline:
bind x "sm_buy; menuselect 3; menuselect 4; menuselect 1; wait 80; slot10";
Gnome:
bind x "sm_buy; menuselect 4; menuselect 3; menuselect 1; wait 80; slot0";
Edited by Shafee
  • Like 1

I am worried about over complicating it though. Right now I only have 5 binds

if you use your number keypad + the insert/home/page up keys it gets pretty easy to remenber your binds

5kLhkcb.png

I cannot come within 30 meters of the survivors, maybe try new strategies

a tip on these situations, try to cordinate whit other players, if you cant chat, watch and wait  till someone distracts the skeeters whit a hunter or smoker to get a hit on them. you could also all atack at the same time, its less efective gameplay wise but at least someone is sure to get a hit on them.

think that we should put some customs into rotation

dont put them in the rotation, it would kill the server each time they come up, but if they could be automated to play once a week in the low activity hours, that'd be healla neat.

lol just noticed the tags.

Edited by anzul

My notes/tips

1) GET HEADPHONES

2) Most of the time I don't bother looking up for hunters. If I hear a hunter lunge sound, I simply make a sharp 30-90 degree turn to the left or right or just modulate my speed between running, walking, and just stopping.. Guaranteed they miss everytime.

3) If you keep dying while rocketing in, please don't start complaining about how the other team is too good or hacking. It's mildly infuriating to see people attempt the exact same move 5-10 times, die 5-10 times, and then just end up complaining about how teams are stacked. Of course you keep dying! You need to get creative.

I guess this one's a bigger tip. Anyone worth their salt knows the frequent spawn points and can simply pre-aim those spots and pop you in the air everytime. When spawning in, there are three factors I think about: minimizing visibility in the air, ensuring that no silhouettes are looking my direction, and good timing. Everytime I spawn, I maximize all three the best I can.

My favorite thing to do is to spawn ahead and appear immediately from a blind spot: everyone is concerned with spawns from the side or air. That's honestly the "meta" for the server, and I always like to find ways to break it.

Edited by Shaq
  • Like 1