This trick might make admins' lives easier, or even members' as well

MurderinClony

There are plenty of scenarios where admins have a tough time doing their job since there are so many people talking at the same time trying to identify the person who is rushing or just leaving their team. 

Well I'd like to offer some advice on a small part of the commands that you use everyday.

This particular little piece of the commands is the option to do "@aim."

No doubt some of the admins have used the command "@infected" or "@survivors" and it works similar to them.

First off, what is "@aim" to begin with?

"@aim" is a parameter for any kind of command that requires a name be input such as !sp <name> <#>, !psay <name> <"message">, !kick <name> <reason>, etc.

"@aim" is replaced by the name of whatever entity is in front of you and so when used in conjunction with a command like !sp it can be used instead of an actual name.

An example command might look like this: !sp @aim 2

Lets pretend you were in a game with me and we are both survivors. If you were to point your crosshair at me, and type the command "!sp @aim 2" it would pop up that you had sent 2 points to Murderin Clony. This specific command can be used on any survivor so long as you aim at the survivor. The game does a quick determination of what is in front of your crosshair, or what entity is in front of it, which was "Murderin Clony". So it automatically replaced "@aim" with "Murderin Clony" effectively typing '!sp "Murderin Clony" 2'.

You may think that this command might be absolutely useless in a fast paced server where everyone moves around and by the time you type "!sp @aim 2" the person has moved and it wont send points. And you are partially correct. Due to the nature of this command there is a huge range for error. Since everything in this game exists in a 3-D plane, if you are off by even just a smidge you will get "Invalid input" or "Invalid command" or something along the lines that it failed.

However, by binding this action to a key, such as v, you can aim at a survivor and simultaneously press the v key, and viola, you are sending points to whoever you are aiming at without having to stop and type.

How does this pertain to making admin's lives easier? Well, as I said earlier, this parameter, is able to be applied to any command where a name is needed.

For example: the !kick command, or the newly introduced !tkick command I have heard about, would look like this "!kick @aim Rushing"

You could quickly and effectively look at a survivor and immediately kick them for rushing without having to figure out what their name was.

However, due to the nature of this command, if someone were to accidentally walk in front of your crosshair as soon as you push this button, they get kicked instead of the rusher.

But not all is lost! Not just yet.

If you hear there is a rusher on either side there are a few things you can do to avoid kicking the wrong person by accident while still using this command.

Quickly enter spectate mode and find the person who is at the front rushing. Make sure you are in thirdperson camera mode. This camera mode locks your camera to the center of any survivor, meaning your camera is always aiming directly at the person regardless of how you spin your camera. Once you find the right person and get to thirdperson mode, promptly hit your bind and they are gone. No name finding involved and no accidental kicks.

There is also an even faster way of finding the rusher when in spectate mode. Through a series of tests I conducted while on the infected side, and sometimes the spectator side, hitting the key that scopes in your sniper takes you to the person the furthest in the level. Hitting your zoom button after entering spectate mode should guarantee that you are now spectating the rusher, or rushers, and then after thirdperson camera is initiated, the bind can be pressed, and poof. Rusher is gone in a reasonable amount of time.

This can also be done while on the infected side. If there is a rusher on the survivor team and you are on the infected, there is no need to swap to spectator. Just suicide or die as an infected and then you are in a spectator like mode until you spawn in again. The same logic can be applied. Find the rusher using your zoom key or through multiple swaps, initiate thirdperson camera, and hit your bind. Be careful to only use this if you feel you have long enough spawn timer to hit the bind before you spawn, which could cause trouble for the survivor you spawn inside of instead.

I have tested this command using !sp @aim 2 while dead as a survivor and it works, about 75% of the time. Due to lag, the @aim can possibly miss a survivor even when in thirdperson camera, which is always aimed at the center of a survivor, because the hitbox of said survivor is actually in front of him, not where he looks like he is. To get around this, moving your camera to be in the same direction that the survivor is moving, as if he were running directly at you, insures that you are aiming at his hitbox directly, and the bind would then work 99% of the time, assuming he doesnt change directions as soon as you hit the bind, which would be the 1%.

This may seem like a lot more work to you admins than it does me, but I would suggest that you give it a shot. Hearing there is a rusher, going to spectate, hitting your zoom key, hitting space once or twice to get into thirdperson, and then one last button to finish it off seems to be a lot better than having members whine that you aren't good enough at your volunteer job. And a note for members as well: yes, they are volunteer admins. Don't really know if it counts as a volunteer admins since they have to be accepted and even pay but you get the idea, they are admins because they want to spend their time helping you guys, not to be ridiculed when they are not fast enough. They aren't hired to be admins, it is not their job, they have to pay to do so, so cut them a bit of slack here. But this is not the point of this post, so, moving on.

Anyways, as for the members' side of it, well I already explained that. Sending points via aiming at people might be faster for you, but I would make the amount of points you send minuscule as to not over-send points. Don't have a bind that sends them 15 points when they only need 1 or 2. I found that sending increments of 2 points minimizes my "wasted" extra points I sent out, cause more than likely, they wont send them back.

TL:DR - the @aim parameter can replace the name portion of any command. When the command is used with @aim instead of a name, the name of whatever, or whoever, you are aiming at replaces the @aim.

• Like 2

Do be careful though using it as a survivor trying to aim at a lone survivor so far ahead. I have no way of testing it but it may be possible to kick an infected in spawn mode, since you technically aimed at him. I would still suggest the spectator way. The same goes for if an infected is on the rusher, you could possibly kick the infected on top instead, so just be careful with it I suppose.

There's a bind to send a player the exact amount of points they asked for. Also IMO I think just typing "!sp mur 4" is much easier. I don't know if you know but you don't have to type the full name to send the points like I did in the example above. Instead of "!sp Murderin Clony 4" but whatever floats your boats m8's. That's speaking from the member side of your post.

Yes Elias, I know you do not have to use the full name.

And in most situations, yes, hitting your bind to send a player the exact amount of points he/she asks for is better. I even still do it, more often than I do my @aim command.

The main times I use my @aim command is when there is so much chaos going on that I do not have time to look in the chat and see if someone has asked for points or to even see who it is that is down and pass them points via chat. This is generally when I can't take my hands off the keys to type to send points specifically to that down person, when multiple are down and have asked for points. I usually point and click a few times hoping it's enough, and sometimes it is and I did it faster than my bind could have especially if more than 1 person asks for points at the same time.

In regards to a rusher, @aim is flawed in the fact the target does kind of need to be in the area of the crosshair, and once the target leaves that area, it won't work.  For other things like !sp, it could benefit the sender if the sendee doesn't utilize !np fast enough.

In regards to a rusher, @aim is flawed in the fact the target does kind of need to be in the area of the crosshair, and once the target leaves that area, it won't work. 

Right, which is why I advised using thirdperson spectator, which keeps the camera pointed directly at the right person 100% of the time.