Emergency Unpin Option?

JackieChan

Was thinking, what would you guys think of a once per round purchase of an "Emergency Unpin"?  Would probably cost 10 points for Survivors, and would allow them to get unpinned from an Infected player only once in the round.  It'd be a very situational item and meant to be used in those life-or-death situations.  I was thinking of having it be the cost of a heal, but 10 points seems like a balanced point value and could be played around with.

Thoughts?

That would be cool and change up the game some. 

Is there any way to halt the round from ending if someone is trying to self-revive with pills/adren? Sometimes I've been like a fraction of a second from being up and the round ends because someone else got incapped. 

• Like 1

You can buy that option to not end on incaps. It will end only when everyone is dead or in the saferoom.

My only thing is that what happens on the unpin? Does the hunter die or just get knocked off and with the animation, wouldn't the survivor be hard pressed to not get pounced again?

Sounds good to me. It would be incredibly useful in situations where someone is about to get chain charged to a death charge zone, and they can't do anything to defend themselves since they're stuck in that 2-3 second animation trying to get up.

Edited by Carlos

My opinion is yes, this would be nice.  

I would limit it like the fireworks, maybe once per round though.  You don't want to encourage rushers.

I don't think the survivor should get any points, or if they do, it is offset by the cost of the unpin.

If we do this, it should be for all the pinnable infected (hunter, charger, jockey and smoker)

Great idea.  Mix things up a little. 

If the infected dies from it, would survivor get a point from it? (I would think no would be the best answer there.)

No, the Survivor would not receive any points from using it.

Another mod has a limited "knife" option/purchase that can cut a smoker tongue (and maybe kill other pinners?) ... is that the sort of thing you had in mind?

The feature built in, but hidden, in L4D1 would act similar to this.

My opinion is yes, this would be nice.  

I would limit it like the fireworks, maybe once per round though.  You don't want to encourage rushers.

I don't think the survivor should get any points, or if they do, it is offset by the cost of the unpin.

If we do this, it should be for all the pinnable infected (hunter, charger, jockey and smoker)

Great idea.  Mix things up a little.

One use per map, no points would be gained, would be for any infected that would have you pinned.
  • Like 2

No, because it gives the more "renegade" players an escape hatch for making a mistake and getting outplayed. For example: If someone who constantly plays the back alone gets caught, they should receive the punishment instead of having a chance to be bailed out.

On a general note I think most of the mods favors the survivors, resulting in them reaching saferoom a majority of the time. It feels especially boring when both teams make it. I think it would be more fun for everyone if the SI were buffed somehow.

• Like 2

I would cast my vote as a "No" as well, even if it is one time per round. My reasoning is similar to Shaq's. If a player gets pinned in the back due to his stupidity, and will probably die from it, it only encourages him to mess around if he has that "lifeline" still. Obviously if he doesn't have it he will return to his normal stupidity but you would be giving the survivors a little bit more "leeway" with straying from the team, a second chance for the survivor when it was the infected's only chance to capitalize on the one stupidity.

I also kind of believe that you already have this sort of thing. You have a limited respawn amount, 3 per map, and it costs 30 points, plus a negative 25 points to overall score. If a player has enough points or is sent enough he can respawn, I think that is good enough. I like the respawn better than this idea, rather than giving a good player his own "respawn" at 10 points, its up to the team to return and actually help the person successfully respawn or send him points.

But if it were to pass, here's an argument against it if its implemented. I understand its an unpin and that it will kill the infected on top of you, but if you are going to use this, chances are you are about to die or are in a spot where your team cannot readily get to you before you die. In this instance, more than 1 infected will be after you, and if you happen to get hit by the infected to begin with, its over. Even with your "lifeline" you would still have to be in "get-up" animation, and during this animation, the other infected waits and gets you before you can react.

That being said, this "animation" only applies to 2 of the 4 pinning specials. Smokers and Jockeys are instant reactions upon being saved.

If you do implement the knife anyways, I believe it should have a major drawback and should count as being defibbed meaning the survivors lose 25 game points for using it. Not only that it should give the infected some points, maybe the 10 the survivor used is a "bribe" for the infected to get off and the infected player gets that 10.

Edited by MurderinClony
  • Like 1

What if it can only be used within a certain radius of another Survivor player(s)?  Like an example: 3 Survivors go to open the door in No Mercy 3, but all 3 get pinned and the rest of the team is waiting for the door to be opened.  By the time their team gets there, the 3 of them will be dead.

Or in another situation where 2 people are ahead spawn blocking, one gets pinned and the other person near them just plain doesn't notice what's going on?

This is good guys, give detailed feedback on why you think or don't think it would work.  Ultimately, you guys are controlling whether or not it gets implemented.