Do y'all want another server?

LetoII

I have recently started a new job at a web hosting company and part of that includes my own VPS - and I was thinking what to use it for and taking over my self hosted wordpress blog that gets 10 hits a month (on a raspberry pi out of my home) seems like a waste for all those resources so I thought why not a game server, and then I thought why not give back to a community that I love?

So let me know, I can set you up with ssh access or whatever you want to get the config right, I actually get 3 dedicated IPs so I thought I'd put one of them towards a game server and if I could help you out with a L4D2 server it would be my absolute pleasure. The only thing I ask in return would be membership for as long as I host the server. I don't even want to be an admin, that seems like too much work.

Anyway, let me know what you think, the server is in a datacenter in LA and I can share more of the specifics if you all are interested...

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the game here... but 7 days to die is a fun game (zombie survival game) that is maybe an option.

Why did you never play on the GC server when we had one? Nobody did, that's why we shut it off. 

Late to the game here... but 7 days to die is a fun game (zombie survival game) that is maybe an option.

Why did you never play on the GC server when we had one? Nobody did, that's why we shut it off. 

Never even knew we had one. :) When was it around? I just started playing 7 days comparatively recently, and just with buddies, not on "public" multiplayer servers.

I'm not even really advocating that we *should* have one, it just occurred to me when I saw the post when I was browsing around.

I'll throw one out there. There was an idea that we floated around for a while at my old clan that we never really got off the ground that would be cool to see implemented: an "Old School" sever.

The idea was that we would have a server, independent of our normal dedicated ones, that would host a rotating list of various retro games. It would cycle to a new game after a set amount of time (1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month; we never really came to an answer on that). As far as a roster of games, our clan thought about running stints of former divisions/games that we no longer had dedicated servers for; think Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake III Arena, R6: Raven Shield (and other Tom Clancy-series games), Counter Strike 1.6, Team Fortress Classic, various Call of Duty, Battlefield/Bad Company, and Medal of Honor titles, and then games that just had old school deathmatch/multiplayer stuff that we enjoyed like Duke Nukem 3D, Alien vs Predator 2000, Turok 2, etc.

Granted, it would need to be tailored to games that multiple people here would both own and want to play. It was never something we could get off the ground because we couldn't find consistent player numbers for, but I think it would be cool to see if the support was there.

Edited by SpenceTheChef