Long Shot - need an editor

Preacher

Hey guys, it's been a long time! I'm still pastoring, now in Texas. My CS days are long behind me but my kids carry on the tradition lol. Anyway I wrote a book.

I know it's sort of a long shot but does anyone know someone who is an experienced copy/creative editor for large projects and won't kill me with cost? 

I'm wrapping up my third and final self edit in the next day or two and then will need someone who understands the ebb and flow of the fantasy genre to rip me a new one lol.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

The ebb and flow?  Fantasy writing is open you make it your own. As far as the rest goes  it;s all grammar checking and making sure the flow is good and that things you think you explained that you as the creator/writer know will reach the reader.   I know many authors have talked about how they thought they had explained things well but they forget that they already know what they are talking about so it comes across not so well with readers. That's really what an editor will be looking for asides from the obvious stuff.  Good luck with that.  I'm currently working on my own project atm but I find myself constantly moving it to the back burner.

Yeah I was capable of writing as far back as 30 years ago but it is a daunting task to write the first word and purpose to make it to completion. I wrote it all in two weeks about a year ago. I have been revisiting it about every 3-4 months and revising it and changing stupid mistakes. I've had several test read it but I need a critical eye that understands the creative process and not just corrects my grammar. I know fantasy and fantasy readers will find every plot-hole, complain about anything that doesn't make sense and spot every mistake. Fantasy is all about the small details :)

This is why I am seeking help before I shop it around and have them tell me it still needs work lol.

It's 86500 words aprox. so this is not a proof read of a short story.

I know most of my story.  I've made numerous plot outlines.  I've collected various plot devices and side story  interjections to flesh the story out somewhat.  I've made character list and bios and realized I've just got so many characters I feel like I'm going to rival the wheel of time before its all said and done. ( I truly do not believe that)   I think I'm stuck in a spot where I want to know everything before I start writing when really most of the info I'm obsessing over wont come into play for a while.  Sometimes when I'm planning I catch myself using other authors ideas.....and I'm like nope gotta scratch that.  Names, names names names. I've read a great many books and I sometimes name some place or some thing and I'm like...oh wait yeah......that is from such and such, but yeah I know what you mean about plot holes they make my head spin when I think I have something nailed down and I then see that gaping pit ugh.

I do a lot of proof reading and editing with music - I'm an avid reader - if you could provide a brief outline of story to begin with; then email me with your script - I'd be happy to help - but I'm very busy this week - got a major gig - but I'll help if you still need it