Unfair Perma Ban on a new player?

MissSpider

Okay, so I don’t normally get involved with nonsense like this, but I felt like this could have been handled a lot better. (I wasn’t sure where to post this; whether in L4D2 general, or the ban appeal; so apologies in advance. Please move the thread if need be!)

We were playing the subway map of no mercy tonight, and my team had just finished their survivor round and made it to the saferoom with relative ease. Player Sigma Grey Wolf is on the other team, and about to take their turn, when he decides to voice his frustration/opinion and says “this server blows”. Almost immediately following, Mercman permanently bans the guy (as seen here). There was no warning for having a negative opinion. There was no “hey, you know you can play elsewhere if you don’t like the server” remark from anyone. Not even a simple kick. Just an instant perma ban. I’m sorry, but what? This was a total overreaction to the situation. And I know I’m not the only one who thinks this. What happened to warning players? Or simply kicking them? I’ve seen both members and non-members get away with a lot worse without so much as a blink in their direction from admins. But if someone comes onto the server and has one small, negative remark about the server, it’s justified to perma ban them? That's some backwards logic if you ask me.

I have nothing against any of the admin, Mercman included (and I don't want to cause drama/problems/etc with anyone). What I have an issue with is unfair/unjust banning of a player over something so miniscule. So I guess this is my attempt to get Sigma's ban lifted? 

• Like 1

I second this, it's almost without hesitation sometimes and I believe it could've been handled differently. There are other commands for this reasoning perma-bands should be used as a last resort imo otherwise we never give new players a chance to fill the server. He tried to come back into the game right after (possibly to apologize) but couldn't. Also, if someone asks reasoning for a kick or ban there should be a legitimate reasoning and spoken with professionality from an admin if asked. This shouldn't be a dictatorship where one person holds all the power and say when people pay for this server. 

Edited by JodaHero
  • Like 2

I wasn’t involved but I would like to add my support to this thread. The situation described in the previous comments are not conducive to maintaining a healthy/positive community. I would hope that the admin shows more discipline and accountability in the future. 

Edited by hyperscope

GC Server Admin
(edited)

Not a new player  had been banned b4

Not the first time somebody has been banned for saying negative things  a bout the server.

And You want Joda to be an admin  LOL

Some body who doesnt do poop

He doesnt do anything but self serving things

Then why didnt you do ANYTHING  then Joda

Good luck with having JODA as an admin

Do nothing admin just like MENG

And if he wanted he could have come in and appealed it

Edited by Mercman

His previous ban was 7yrs ago 30mins for rushing. 

Yes, we have banned people for saying things against the server, but in those situations most were kicked then came back using extreme profanity (including homophobia and racism) against not just the server or admins, but against members who were trying to explain to them the rules.

It's not an easy task learning to become an Admin, afterall, it took me about almost a year to be fluent with commands etc.  Please don't think he's doing 'nothing'.  As for Meng, he's earned the trust and respect of most people here and just because an Admin is not in server 24/7, doesn't mean to say they neglect their duties towards GC.