Case MOD Competition

Bubblegum Bandit

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Case mods shouldnt have anything to do with cpu speed, mobo, ram type things. Cas mod means modifications that you have done to you PC i hope, that would include things like cleanliness and uniqueness and overall appeal of the changes you have made and how it looks as a whole.

check out some of these case mods.

Case Mods

We won't be looking for anything this extravagant, but more than likely we will judge on

1: uniqueness/originality

2: cleanliness (includes outside & inside cleanliness and wire management)

3: use of cathodes/colored LEDs/water cooling etc

plus whatever else we decide to grade on. I will work on a prize for the winner when i have everything donated in and consult with fatty on what should be included for the winner.

3: use of cathodes/colored LEDs/water cooling etc

can I disagree with that one?

personally I get sick of seeing every "cool" case just have a ton of lights in it with a clear side panel...I don't know that I'll have ANY lights in mine (though I will probably have a few)....to me the lights aren't origional anymore...everyone does it.

• 2 months later...

Since it seems we have renewed interest in this competition. I think we should come up with judging criteria for this contest. Throw out some ideas (I realize there are a few above but lets get them concrete) now about the categories. I don't think that the use of any one peripheral, ie lights, or using an LCD should automatically say that that person is gonna win. I think it has to be more on a complete level. How do the lights or whatever you have incorporated fit in with the design of your case? I do agree that wire management should be a criteria, especially if you have a window where you can see the wires, but should you not have a window, would I be correct in saying who cares what your wires look like? I also think the quality of the job should be put into consideration as well.....is your paint job flaking, if I was to touch your window mod would it fall out or rattle like hell?

Your Thoughts?

I'd say we should not only go with how cool the case looks, but how functional the case is...i.e. do all those lights in there actually make the case hotter? and with that, I think wiring should matter even with no window...because it's functional and should be a necessity

I talked to rooster, if you wanna have a separate competition for performance, we can do that, but case modding competition is just that, the mods done to the computer that make it set itself apart from everyone else's box. Originality a must. If you wanna designate 2 competitions, one for case mod, the other for pc performance, we could prolly do that. But we would have to talk to BGB and Fatman to find out what to do. Because, aren't the winners getting a prize of some sort.

Edited by PuppySurprise

My point is this, give me enough money and I can make my computer outperform yours. However, money is not always a huge factor in case modding. If you stress originality, i.e. if someone bought a window kit vs. someone who cut their own design and fit the plexi themselves, you shouldn't have a problem. I think a set of criteria should definitely be developed with originality at the top of the list. You just need to make sure you don't give a prize for cramming a bunch of crap into a computer case.

ROosTEr,Apr 21 2004, 09:24 AM] You just need to make sure you don't give a prize for cramming a bunch of crap into a computer case.

One of my points exactly.

I guess when I think of a Case Modding Competition, that's what I think of....a case. Thus my statement about the wiring....if you look at the case and you can't SEE the wiring, what effect does it have on the CASE mod. I agree Rooster, I think originality should be at the top. I also think you need to have some type of theme or scheme to it as well....you can't just Make LEDs flash, cut holes in your box, wire tie your cables and say that it looks "good." There has to be an overall look achieved that blends all of them together.

If we wanna go for a performance competition, that's fine with me.(its ultimately up to Fatness though) Maybe you should set a maximum of specs and say, ok, with these things, who can make this comp perform the best. IMO, if you don't have some kind of level playing field, the person with the most money has the better chance of winning.

Thanks for the feedback, they are all good(except Mags, who seems to be smelling his upper lip :blink: ) keep them coming. If enough support is shown for a performance comp, I'm sure Fatty would have no problem going with one, but we need to know its desired.