Video importing/editing

linch

Have any of you had any experience connecting a video recorded to your PC to edit and make a DVD?

I had a friend record my wedding on his hi-8 samsung, and it has a s-video out, and audio out. Is their anything special I need to do as far as software, etc. ?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

You need a video capture card. Either a TV card or one that has VIVO (Video In, Video out). You will need the software to encode it into whatever format you want in order to transfer to DVD. You will need the burning software to make the DVD, Nero 6 is the best for that.

I have yet to personally burn a DVD this way but I do a lot of video capture stuff.

These are ones that I did recently using the Windows Media Encoder. http://www.zerodamage.com/gc/rnc/

Edited by zerodamage .gc

You need a video capture card.  Either a TV card or one that has VIVO (Video In, Video out).  You will need the software to encode it into whatever format you want in order to transfer to DVD.  You will need the burning software to make the DVD, Nero 6 is the best for that.

I have yet to personally burn a DVD this way but I do a lot of video capture stuff.

These are ones that I did recently using the Windows Media Encoder.  http://www.zerodamage.com/gc/rnc/

I'm borrowing a friends ATI vid card that has a video in. I'm just curious if their is any special software that anyone would recommend for this type of setup.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I'm borrowing a friends ATI vid card that has a video in.  I'm just curious if their is any special software that anyone would recommend for this type of setup.

Just about any video editing software will work. I have Power Director which came with my VIVO card. If the card only has Video in, that doesn't cover the Sound Input. You will need to do the sound into the input of the sound card.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Linch, I am sending you a pm with my number, give me a call when you decide to do this and if you need help. Best thing to do is test a few small 1- minute clips to make sure all is set up before going the full route.

Do you have a firewire port on that particular camera? or perhaps someone you know has a Hi-8 camera with a firewire port?

---- 1 --- If so, the firewire cable allows you to import high quality video/audio in the same cord and function.

a great piece of software that would heavily acomodate your needs is "iMovie" :

*****DESCRIPLTION OF iMovie**********************************

-I personally recommend getting your hands on a friend's Macintash which just about all of them come with "iMovie" on it. iMovie is about as simple and basic you can get for beginner editing and commen sense, simple layout allows any one-timer to edit a masterpiece.

I use Final Cut Pro but can always rely on iMovie to help me in simpleness and time while it also delivers a professional look that you and your wife can enjoy.

---- 2 ---- If you cant find a Hi-8 camera with firewire port, want to use it, you can use a piece of media equipment called a "media converter" which allows you to connect your S-video and Right and Left channel audio cables right into the input of the converter while having a firewire transferring all tha information straight to your editor.

Hope this helps out and i hope you can get your hands on the right equipment, good luck on the editing.

*Edit - adding iMovie link. iMovie Clicky!

Edited by gnarl3y