Howie Day

Playaa

(edited)

Anyone ever heard of him?

A friend of mine showed me his Madrigals DVD about a month or so ago...and I have been HOOKED on the music from that show since then.

At first he just seems like another one of those acoustic guitar playing guys that have flooded the market these last few years...and I'll be honest, of his normal cd's that I've heard, that's what he IS if those are the only cd's you hear.

But what got him famous (or near famous actually) were his live shows. In which he sits up on stage with his acoustic guitar, himself, and several effects pedals and looping machines. He then proceeds to play a little bit of a song and record it on a looping device, then he loops that piece and plays another and records it, then loops them both and plays a 3rd and records it, then loops all 3 and uses an effects pedal to turn his guitar to a bass and plays a bass part, records and loops again, then hits his guitar in a multitude of ways to make a drum-like beat, records...loops...Then sings a piece, records...loops. Then cuts out one of the first 6 pieces, sings another and plays another, records...loops...etc.

you get the point.

Anyway...on this Madrigals DVD...his songs have such a grand sound to them since they just build and build and build. And at the end of the song it's hard to imagine that everything you're hearing was done by one guy and a guitar...he has no technicians doing the recording and looping...he does it all on his own while playing.

So like I said, his cd's aren't that great generally...but his Madrigals EP has 2 songs from the Madrigals DVD that are live. The other 3 songs on the EP were played at the time the DVD was recorded, but the songs on the EP are the non-live versions...they were done in studio.

Anyway, check it out here.

And please don't share that link as I have a limited amount of bandwidth...but I just wanted to share this with you guys.

Listen first of all to the song called "Bunnies" (don't ask me about the name, I don't get it) then to the song called "Sorry, so sorry."

tell me what you think.

Edited by Playaa/Pselus