Mobo II Ping Kicker

Flitterkill

Sometime tonight or tomorrow a ping kicker will be put into place.

The lag problem is either one of two things at this point.

A box that can't handle 18-20 players (and at this point we are the *only* server running on this particular box at the moment)

-or-

Once we creep up past 16 players, any one who had a nasty ping b4 (150+) we go over 16 starts to actually have an affect on the rest of us.

Today there was a player from Trinidad and one from the UK who popped in to an almost full server bringing horrible pings with them. Laggage for all ensued.

Whether this is really the cause of our troubles I'm not sure but am keen to find out.

/-=GC=-/ members will *not* be kicked for ping ever - benefits of membership.

Prob kick for pings 170 and over. This is not a case where you hit that number and above just once and are kicked. You need to have sustained sucky pings for a bit - and then you are given a heads up thats the case, and then warned you will be kicked due to high ping, then kicked for duration of the map. This means that if you go into the server and and there are only 10 people there but you have a horrible ping, you will still be kicked. Just so you know.

If complaints of laggage go down after this - then mission accomplished. If not, Mobo 3 is on the way...

-Fk

GC Board Member

In other words, it will check pings at a given interval (set by me - 5 seconds - 30 seconds - 90 seconds - whatever) - is your ping over the amount I set? - if so, that increments the pingkick counter by one - rinse and repeat - if you go over the counter threshold (set to whatever I feel like - 4 - 6 - whatever) then you get kicked. There is a warning text message that will flash once you pass a give increment (again user changeable)

So, something like the counter goes past 3 you get warned about impending ping kick, and then maybe at 5 out you go.

Nothing finalized on this end yet but it will not just blast folks away for the occasional high ping periods - this is to knock out the folks who come in with 200+ pings and don't leave.

So anyways - I will prob *not* put this in tonight. Fatty gave me the contact at XGS and we are going to try and knock this out hopefully - the ping kicker is still a good idea and will likely go in to get the extreme pings out (200+).

-Fk