My Workout

Sir Shertown Pimp

Since I went from 170 to 210 in about 6 months ( Don't ask, but I was skinny before) I am going to on a super serious workout schedule.

Everyday in the morning I do 30-40 minutes of cardio

Monday: Benchpress, Incline, Decline, Abs

Tuesday: Leg Press, Leg curls, maybe squats haven't decided

Wednesday: Biceps and triceps, abs

Thursday: Shoulders and back, rows and stuff

Friday: Military press and work around on anything I feel I didn't work well enough in the week

Diet:

Fruit or yogurt for breakfast

2 Hours before I work out I eat lots of carbs and some protein

After I work out I eat more healthy protein, salad occasionally

Protein Snack at night, but no carbs

I also try to drink about 100 ounces of water everyday to get my metabolism going better.

No cokes, beer, only low carb rum, few sweets.

I've been lifting and trying to eat better for about 2 weeks, now I am incorporating a lot of cardio to help me lose fat quicker.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

What is it that you are trying to do? Sounds like a pretty good workout, but you are only working each area once per week...? (If I read it correctly.)

My times up (long story), but I'll post more later...

Edit - I'm back. (I'm still in Kuwait and they limit you to 30 minutes at a time if people are waiting to get on.)

Depending on what you are trying to do and how much time you have every day to workout, you might want to focus on building and strenghtening your core muscles first. These include your glutes, quads, abs, back, chest, and shoulders, and you can indirectly work your abs and back when working on the others.

I only have 3 different routines I do. Days 1 and 3 are basically the same, days 2 and 4 are the same, and day 5 is a no weight day. I start each lift session with 30 minutes of low-impact cardio (eliptical, stair-climber, bike), and usually throw in some ab work at the end depending on how much time I have.

Days 1 and 3) Chest and leg focused day. I start with a jerk and shoulder press with a bar, then squats, then bench, then this crazy balancing on one leg bent over forward alternating dumbell lift thing (doing 2 sets on each leg twice), then alternating dumbell chest press (do 10-15 with the right, then switch and do 10-15 with the left), incline dumbell chest press, and finish with 3-5 sets of pushups (varying between incline, one leg up, etc.). The key to a lot of these exercises is that they work the stabilizer muscles in your legs, abs, and back while you do them. They also do a good job on your triceps, as chest exercises often do.

Days 2 and 4) Shoulders, biceps, lats, back. Start with 3 sets of chin-ups, then move to do hammer curls with dumbells, then do lat pull downs, then back to regular curls, then shoulder shrugs, then seated row. I usually do most of my ab work on this day because the workout is a bit shorter. I also do lower back exercises (supermans, or use the stand where you can bend forward and lift your self up...vague, I know...).

Day 5) Usually just a cardio and ab day. Absolutley no weights. If there is any kind of resistance exercise, it's body weight only (dips, pushups). I might put one of my long runs on this day, depending on whether or not I was able to run during the week (outside of this workout).

My workout is a little different because I focus on practical strength, not necessarily looking good. A couple of things I try to always do:

1) Kick my own butt on the low-impact cardio. Really work up a sweat and get my heart pumping, and try to sustain it through the weight workout.

2) Rest no more than 1 minute between sets. This helps you burn more of the deep fat while lifting.

3) Drink a lot of water during the workout. Don't take any kind of energy booster or anything before you workout - you can't put life's tough situations on hold while you drink a Red Bull.

4) Maintain your form on each exercise. If you have to change your form to lift or push, then you have hit technical failure, and you aren't getting the most out of your workout. Try lowering the weight and doing more reps, or get someone to spot or assist you while you do negatives instead.

I know this was long, but just wanted to share in case there was something there that could help. I'm curious to hear how you progress...

Edited by whudats

My body is really naturally skinny, and I'm quite tall at 6'4, so I am not expecting a lot of mass, just trying to tone up and lose my excess fat. I don't want to be super cut, just fit and respectable.

I NEED MORE CARDIO I'M LAZY!!

I only work each area once per week but its a pretty rigorous workout. I haven't lost much actual weight, I'm hoping I'm turning a bit of fat into muscle though.

(edited)

Sounds like a good goal - fit and respectable. It sounds like you have a body similar to my cousin. He's 6'4" and about 170, but has a REAL hard time gaining any kind of weight - fat or muscle.

I'm about 6'5" and 240, which is as much as I want to weigh. I might start to do more cardio and maintain the weights I lift (not increase weight amounts) to lose a little more. Ideally I'm best around 225-230. But I'm pleased with where I am. Oh yeah, I haven't really changed what I eat.

Do you listen to headphones/iPod/etc. when you workout? That might help keep you motivated during the workout. I know my best workouts have been when I really have a good rhythym going.

Getting in shape is a lot harder than staying in shape. Try to make sure your workout/diet is one that you can do for a long time. That makes it easier to stay in shape, and makes it less likely that you will put on any weight you lost or lose any strength gains you made.

Edited by whudats

(edited)

I really have changed what I am eating best I can, I am a freshman in college so campus food isnt completely healthy and I can't cook for myself, but I'm cutting out the late night snacking and not drinking 4 beer times a week anymore.

I don't have trouble keeping my lifting rhymth, I'm really enjoying it even though I complain about the soreness especially in my legs. The main problem for me is motivation for doing cardio, I have athletic induced asthma, so too much cardio and I'll pass out, and since I was about 15 my knees and feet ache from growing as fast as I did, I have shoe inserts but jogging/sprinting kills my feet. I do the ellpitcal but I feel a bit queer, although my university's gym is PACKED with smokin 20 year old girls( main reason I'm getting in shape). I guess I will just have to suck it up and try to run 6 or 7 times a week, thanks for all the info whudats.

BTW who are you with in kuwait? My dad spent a lot of time in Kuwait city, baghdad airport, and taji a while back.

Edited by Sir Shertown Pimp

I was with the 101st ABN in Iraq, and am just here waiting to come home.

I don't have ANY experience with asthma, so I don't really know what to suggest for that. I do know that the eliptical machines, stairclimber, and stationary bicycles can help you burn calories and lose fat without all the heavy breathing that comes with running (at least in my experience). I too felt a little queer doing the eliptical at first, but your body needs that low impact cardio sometimes. You can really beat your body down, and do more harm than good, if you don't have a good mix of exercises.

That is pretty good motivation for working out, and it's always easier with a pretty view...