Xterminator

The teams:

Germany vs Argentina

Italy vs Ukraine

England vs Portugal

Brazil vs France

My predictions:

Germany vs Argentina:

This is the only game that i'm not confident on. Both teams have put up a great display on the field during this world cup. I'm having difficulty deciding who to cheer for. I respect both teams but right now i'm leaning a little more to Argentina. I'm not going to put up a score i just think that it will be a close game but Argentina will take it.

Italy vs Ukraine:

Ukraine has managed to squeek past the Swiss in 2nd round. (btw swiss didn't conceed a single goal in first round) to be beaten in penalty kicks 3-0 by Ukraine was hurtful. Never the less the likes of Shevchenko and his boys are strong enough to take this but lets not forget Italy. Italy is still fielding their strong team from 98 and 2002. The likes of Totti, Inzaghi, Pirlo, Del Piero and the best goalie in the world (so people claim) Buffon. The Italian team is considered "old" with only 4 players being born past 1980 but that doesn't mean anything. I believe that this squad has what it takes to advance to semi finals and i choose them over Ukraine.

England vs Portugal:

I believe this game will get the most hipe in quarterfinals. England is recovering with the loss of i believe Steven Gerrard who tore his MCL (out for 6 months...rumoured to be hanging up his cleats). They also dont know if Lampard will take part in the game against Portugal but besides that they have a great sqaud lined up. Portugal is struggling form their game with Netherlands. They have lost a striker and a midfielder due to red cards Deco and Costinha (respectively). The injury that Ronaldo sustained seems to have subsided and he looks ready for the game. I think that England is going to just squeek by a win here.

Brazil and France:

David vs Goliath. France has had a rough 1st round, just barely qualifying for last 16. They managed to pull a win against Spain (Which i was totally blown away with) but the team otherwise looks a bit shaky. Brazil on the other hand has played an outstanding worldcup, they finished top of their pool and have easily advanced to the quarter final round. They have an excellent sqaud and they know their soccer well. Brazil will take this game with a comfortable lead.

what do the rest of you think?

(edited)

With the missing players for both England and Portugal it could be a close game, but if England put in a showing like we have done in every game so far in this tournament we deserve to get knocked out.

Don't get me wrong I believe the England team is still one of the strongest in the competition, but for us to win this we need to up the pace a bit if we're going to banish the memories of Portugal knocking us out of Euro 2004.

I think that Germany, Brazil, Italy and either England or Portugal will make for a good and interesting final 4.

Edited by Leveller

tkc
(edited)

Well since I'm too late to make a prediction on germany and italy (even though those would have been my pics) I will make a choice on Brazil vs France and England vs Portugal... Let's see I honestly feel that France is going to win over Brazil 2-1 just because they beat a really good Spanish side with ease and Brazil has yet to prove themselves the same team as 2002. As for England vs Portugal, I will have to go with England on this one just because Portugal is missing Deco, Costinha and possibly Christiano Rinaldo who is still feeling the effects of the Dutch game... also Im Dutch so I am still angry that Portugal got through in what has to be the worst match I've ever seen. Also I dont get how Figo did not get suspended for that headbut to Van Bommels face!!!! But yeah.... France and England FTW!!!!

Edited by tkc

WOW! what a round of 8. If i've learned something it's not to make predictions anymore on teams who are missing players or whatever. I was shocked at some of these results!!!

Germany beat Argentina

Italy wins over Ukraine

Portugal beat England

and the shocker of the tournament, that game no one expected!!!

FRANCE dominates Brazil!!!!! WAY TO GO FRENCHIES!!!