More Sales Data

whudats

360 Leads Holiday Sales

But Nintendo was right on Microsoft's heels.

January 2, 2007 - According to preliminary NPD data, the Xbox 360 was the best-selling console during the holiday season in the U.S. CNBC is reporting that Americans picked up two million units of Microsoft's system during the period.

But Nintendo was not far behind. In spite of limited availability, the Wii sold 1.8 million units from its launch until December 25. Sony only moved approximately 750,000 units of the PlayStation 3, due to manufacturing problems and decreased demand. Over the holidays, IGN repeatedly found PS3s available at retailers while no Wiis were in sight. The price of a PS3 on eBay has also dropped to around its MSRP, while the Wii is still selling for over twice its retail price.

NPD expects to release complete sales data for the holiday season later this month.

Yeah, I was having this discussion a little while ago.

I still say that it's a little unfair, considering that the way the numbers were polled, Microsoft had 18 extra days over Nintendo in the North American theatre. Had the first shipment been available on the first, I think, and I'm positive that most analysts would agree, that those numbers would be telling a different story - and that's why to intelligent analysts, numbers don't mean everything.