Majestic 12

I've just downloaded, installed and played a bit of the newly released UT2004 mod, Majestic 12. I must say, for a first release, it's quite good. It's much like an early version of Counterstrike. The gameplay is natural, you can jump in without even configuring your controls and find pretty much everything you need right away. There is a story behind the mod, which I'll let the developers tell, but let it suffice to say this is your tried and true multiplayer FPS. Two teams, equipped with mp5s, shotguns, sniper rifles, HE grenades, etc. battling on small-to-medium maps, with a goal to either complete an objective or eliminate the other team.

However, Majestic 12 adds a couple of nice touches that make it worthy of a second or third play. There is the XP system, which works much like Enemy Territory does. Do well (i.e. kill the enemy or complete objectives) and you get more experience points. Unlike ET though, YOU decide where your XP gets used. The total XP is translated into points that can be put towards attributes such as strength, stealth, health or control. This allows you to customize your character to fit your playing style, much like an RPG though not nearly as in depth. The whole system is implemented very well, and even a player who isn't expecting anything like that (I wasn't) can get the idea in one or two rounds. Graphics are a bit un-polished, though overall they look very nice. As I stated before, it often feels like an early version of Counterstrike. The mod looks and feels promising, but being on it's first release, it still lacks the polish of some other UT2k4 mods.

Check out the story, view screenshots, and download the client here.

Also, here are a few shots I took while playing this morning. They're a little big because MSPaint doesn't have a resize tool.

mj12battle.jpg

mj12interior1.jpg

mj12interior2.jpg

mj12outside.jpg

mj12player.jpg

mj12mission.jpg

mj12lab.jpg

mj12night.jpg

I don't understand why you or anyone else would think Counterstrike is a "sucky" game. If it sucks so much why has it been the number one internet FPS for the past six years? Over 64 thousand unique players are playing CS on Gamespy every day. That's compared to the just over 4 thousand that are playing Unreal Tournament 2004. And this is nothing like either Battlefield game. I have no idea where you got that idea.

That doesn't matter though, because if you would try the mod, instead of dissing it, you'd realize that it's really not that much like Counterstrike. CS was made with the Quake 2 engine, Majestic 12 is made with the UT2k4 engine, they feel nothing alike.

its a sucky game because i dont play games to have random missing.. if i aim at you.. and shoot.. its because i wanted to shoot you.. not have the game say... well i THINK we let that shot hit.. well maybe not... lol..... not to mention the hack job cs did... utterly destroy the quake engine...... o and the fac that if you die.. you can wait up to 3 mins for some camper to die.... not that i died much anyway... just lame... i dont like battlefield for same reason.. but at least battelfield/wolf dont make you wait for everyone to die..... which leads to battlefields problem with huge maps... everyone here knows by now that i try never to be in a vehicle... so with battlefield you have to spend half your time running across a map.... kinda reason i dont play mmporgs.. tape down arrow key to walk for 2 hours to get to some spot.. (and you pay monthly fee for this waste of time lol).....

but alas we are all entitled to our opinions..

so go play the mod that removes the point of having a tourny game... you wont see me playing it...

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Reminds me of the old UT mod "Strike Force" with it's look. That mod was excellent. So many cool mods that came out for UT that didn't really take off, sort of like Tac Ops.

Tac Ops was fun, though I didn't like it as much as CS, which was taking off around the same time. Tac Ops did go retail though, which I guess is as big as a mod can get. There is a new Tac Ops for UT2k4, whic I have yet to download, but it looks pretty good.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Downloading it now. This is why I bought UT2004 the other day. The cool mods that come out for it. Not only that but ATI cards seem to love this game. 1280 x 1024 4xAA and 8xAF without a hitch at any time. Not sure of FPS, haven't looked yet.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Tac Ops was fun, though I didn't like it as much as CS, which was taking off around the same time. Tac Ops did go retail though, which I guess is as big as a mod can get. There is a new Tac Ops for UT2k4, whic I have yet to download, but it looks pretty good.

Got a link for it? That is awesome.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
doesn't look lilke there's anything for UT2k4 yet...thought I read somewhere there was...I'll keep looking.

That's what I thought. Maybe they will do that. Be nice to play Tac Ops again without having to pay for it. It was a really cool mod at the time. Nice alternative to CS.