Xbox mod question

soul .gc

Ok - So "IF" I had a modded Xbox..

Let's say the "supposed" modded Xbox had been working great and then the DVD drive was not being initialized by the dashboard anymore. Let's say it was evolutionX dashboard. The DVD would work fine by itself but if booting to the modded dash it would not work. So an updated version of the dashboard is loaded on and it still happens but not as often. Then let's say the Xbox starts to reboot on its own sometimes and then throws up an "Error 16".

Anyone ever seen this before in this "hypothetical" situation? None of the xbox forums have been any help. I may have to buy a new DVD drive.....that is "if" I had a modded xbox.

Found this when looking up your "hypothetical" situation...

I get Error 16! What do I do?

Error 16... EXPLAINED...

Yes, it is a DASH ERROR, but it is due to the TIME

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NORMAL BOOT PROCESS:

1.Xbox turns on

2. several checks are done for hardware, incuding RAM, HD, and DVD-DRIVE, just to test if they are present

3.Xbox checks SYSTEM TIME -> if no time is found -> boot dash off hard drive to set time

4. Xbox looks for default.xbe on DISC, if it is not found, goto 5

5. Xbox boots dash off of Hard drive

What is happening in your case:

1.Xbox turns on

2. several checks are done for hardware, incuding RAM, HD, and DVD-DRIVE, just to test if they are present

3.Xbox checks SYSTEM TIME ->TIME NOT FOUND -> Xbox tries to launch dash off of hard drive -> DASH NOT FOUND-> ERROR 16 - DASH ERROR

The fix:

Put back in your OLD drive (the one with the dash's still on it)

Set the time

Swap the drives without physically unplugging the xbox.

So "if" this was you, could you just go into MS Dashboard, Settings, Time and set the clock, since you said it only does this sometimes when it randomly reboots? Otherwise, here is a more in-depth tutorial: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=53268

If you do replace your DVD drive, the best is the Samsung, second best is Phillips, Thomson is the worst (this is the one I have <_<). (According to www.xbox-scene.com forums)

philips_thomson_samsung.jpg

Edited by Hitman

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, Evox was one of teh dashboards they showing and saying all it will due now is void warrenty. I am not sure what day this law changed, but it was on G4techtv Also there was a court settle ment in Spain that had something to do with it and they claim it was leagal. If I find the thread ill post it up. If I cant find it I guess I am wrong till I do :)