Packet Loss?

gOOters

Hey guys. I know that I have been whining even more than usual when I get the chance to play lately. Maybe someone will have some suggestions for me? I have a crappy comp and COX cable internet, but have always been able to connect pretty well.

The last week, my ping has been erratic, and I experience tremendous packet loss on all servers. I mean like 1000+ ping. But consistantly about twice what it could/should be.

I have emptied my temp files, re-booted modem and hub, I even called COX and they said they didn't see any problems from their end. Any ideas? :unsure:

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

Easiest way to figure this out, ping your favorite server or your gateway or central hub through your cable company, this should be in command prompt. Figure out if you are not pinging 12-13. You should ping 12-13 to your gateway, if it's higher.. then, you have a problem with your cable modem. If you are pinging normally, it's CS. It's probably "cl_packetflushentity" Or whatever it is, I keep forgetting it. You have to unistall Half-life, back-up up whatever you want, [i.e. config.cfg, autoexec.cfg, blah blah.] And then delted your Sierra folder. Go into regedit.exe find everything under "Sierra" and delete it. Reboot, so there should be NO trace of Sierra on your computer. D/l a new version of CS1.5 and Hl1008 and install a fresh copy of HL. This should fix your problem.

Also, check your cl_cmdrate, cl_updatreate, and rate. Check if they are high or low, you know the default: update: 20, cmd: 30, rate 9999.

Packet loss is usually due to high updaterates, because the server is getting too much information that it cannot handle. The server side has glitches, and it loses its connectivity with your computer, giving you a high ping and packet loss. If this does not work, well, I do not know what else to do.

The command you have to type in your command prompt:

Start Menu > Run > "cmd" [no quotes]> ping -i 100 "Gateway IP here" -n 100

That should give you a good average on what ping you are getting, if the ping is smooth, then your internet is okay, and it's CS that is giving you trouble.

Have a good day GoOt.

Sincerely,

Orb