IGN does something right!

General J

Look closely. You have to be somewhat picky about graphics to say "Man that looks like crap!" Truly and honestly, it doesn't look that bad. I mean, considering directx 7 technology is how many years old? But, the truth is, that between 7 and 9, there were some major additions and changes. Water actually looked like water. Grass is actually there in the train yard picture with 9, but not there with 7.

I think this one sums it up. Look behind Eli to the right. This is with 9:

half-life-2-directx-comparison-20041118042451673.jpg

now this is with 7:

half-life-2-directx-comparison-20041118034000211.jpg

Notice that it doesn't even look like glass is supposed to be there with 7? Like they say in the article, most of the difference is just in the lighting. Shadows are actually figures not just blobs of black. Shades can be seen on walls, instead of them just being black. Water looks like water, not just lighter brown stuff with rough waves. Amazing stuff.

Edited by General J

Yeah, that does amaze me that the engine will dumb down the graphics to allow older cards to run it. That's what 7 years of development will do for you I guess. Now, if only other companies could get that concept. They would make a lot more money. Imagine FarCry with an engine like that. It would have done a lot better.