No more Analog Music

spiralstairs

Well, today the company Quantegy closed it doors.

They were the last manufacturer of tape for open reel to reels, a slowly dying medium for recording music. I was in the process of buying a reel to reel recorder for my basement studio and this seriously put a dent in it. 1/2 " tape (whcih is what i need) is now 20 dollars more per reel than it was last week! man, i should've listened to the rumors and horded a bunch of tape.

A lot of big studios are digital now, I think this is going to affect the smaller studios and home studios who are still recording to tape which sucks a lot.

I have a feeling this is not going to be good for music in a broad sense.

Well, analog > digital, but digital has come so far and provided so many fringe benefits (including cost savings) that I'm not too terribly surprised to find this out. Bummed a bit, and I wonder when vinyl will stop being produced if this is the case. Vinyl certainly won't survive if all the major studios go over to completely digital processes. Not that it's a really good life right now as it is...

well, yeah thats a big question, what will happen to vinyl?

there will still be reissues of older albums on vinyl, im pretty sure of it. but new recorrds put out on vinyl? that will probably die out soon. there is a niche market of out there for new albums on vinyl but who knows how long that trend will last before the nostalgia of owning records fades.

ive been reading posts on the TapeOp message board and there may be hope yet. There are many people in the industry who are not going to take this lying down (neil young anyone? he wouldnt let his albums be mastered digitally until recently).

I personally like analog better than digital (ive used both and sitting at my computer recording music just wasnt my thing) but one is not inherently better than the other. digital has contributed to cutting costs and making it easier for Joe Schmo to record his music and get it out there... but then again, do we really want that? :P