Computer for friend

TeK

Hey all, its me again looking for advice. After I bought my new machine and all the help I recieved I sort of know what I'm looking for in terms of product but again just looking for some mroe guidence.

If you guys want to know what he originally wanted you might laugh(Just at processor :P )

Athalon 64 fx-55

1 gig ram

2 6800GT's

160gig sata drive

asus SLI board nForce4

NOW, I told him its the biggest rip off in the world to go for that FX-55(I believe its about 800-900 bucks). So I was looking at building him a bang for your buck computer, He has the money so I went a little overboard. He definately wanted that Asus SLI board. So I reccomened him this.

Asus SLI Nforce4 Board

Athalon 64 3500+

1 x800XT PCI-E

1 to 2 gigs of ram(Reccomeneded Kingston HyperX but since hes not into OCing I can get him much cheaper ram, maybe OCZ or Corsair)

My power supply(Enermax Noisetaker 470watt)

1 sata 160gig hard drive

He wanted more power so I told him to get the 3700+ but thats almost 200-250 dollars more and for .2 ghz the performance gain wasn't worth it, so I told him to spend it on another gig of ram since ram goes a further way.

I'm not up on the technology for PCI-e so I don't know if getting the x800XT is good for it. Mine's AGP so I know mine is a kick arse card. Also, does that mobo fit in a regular ATX case?

If he wants SLI than you have to go Nvidia. I would suggest either the 6800 or 6800 GT, 6800 GTs are hard to get at the moment, however here is a link. I suggesting paying the extra $20 and getting an eVga card. I've always had goo luck with them.

I am in the process of building almost exactly the same system, execpt I picked up an OCZ ModstreamPS. I'm going with a 3500+ and 1 gig. When you select the HD make sure you get one with NCQ.

It will fit in a regular ATX case.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

SLI is not worth the money really. You buy two video cards just for them both to be out of date in a year where one card can do the job of the two you have at half the price.

Unless you are a multimillionare, it isn't worth it.

BTW, did I mention that "Troy" was a terrible movie.

(edited)

I don't look at it that way. You buy 1 mid-high card now, and then a year from now you buy the same card cheap and you are right back up in the mid-high range again.

As far as price goes the A8n-SLI is a $193 board from Monarch. Keep in mind this is Asus's flagship do it has all the bells and whistles.

After that it depends on what you buy. I recomend getting a good PS and video card.

$193 MB

$156 Ram

$100 HD

$80 PS

$245 Boxed AMD64 3500+

$492 eVGA Nvidia 6800GT PCI-e

Total $1266

Edited by Penty

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I don't look at it that way. You buy 1 mid-high card now, and then a year from now you buy the same card cheap and you are right back up in the mid-high range again.

If you wish to buy a card that is a year old to get performance back up then that works. You however have to factor in the advancements in technology that the new cards will have. 6800GT will cost you around 450-500. The price hasn't really changed since the release back in the summer. The new stuff this summer will be in that price range but will have new DX9 abilities etc, not to mention take advantage of newer PCI-e speeds when they happen. The fact that the card is still in the 450-500 range and will not go down too much when the new stuff comes out, you are better off putting the extra money into bigger HDD or something. I say wait a year or so and let SLI mature.

I really do not know. It sounds nice, I just do not know if I would spend that much on a board just to get two vid cards in it that I could get out of it in 4-8 months with a new card that would be cheaper in the long run.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Keep in mind that a regular 450 watt PSU will also not be enough. You will need a 550 Watt or better high quality brand PSU to power two such video cards. Another extra expense. Also, cooling. Be sure to get plenty of cooling for your case.

Keep in mind that a regular 450 watt PSU will also not be enough.  You will need a 550 Watt or better high quality brand PSU to power two such video cards.  Another extra expense.  Also, cooling.  Be sure to get plenty of cooling for your case.

Heh I have a CoolerMaster CMStacker I have plently of cooling and room for 2 power supplies if I need it. =)