Aeon Flux

Leveller

Yeah... it was funky and surreal, but very entertaining to watch.

I also remember the animated clips being very gory, and the animation style jerky. But hey, the concepts were very ahead of its time. It was basically The Matrix before The Matrix.

The Matrix way before The Matrix.

Erm, Aeon Flux was a pretty standard dystopia story.

...a lot of the backstory leading up to the series is gone, but at its very core, most of the world is wiped out, and the majority live in two states which border each other. One is a dictatorship, Bregna, which is rather well off, but corrupt, and the other, Monica is kind of like Russia is now - free, but relatively destitute and prone to chaos.

They're seperated by what may as well be the Berlin wall of the 24th century.

In the midst of it all, you have Aeon Flux, a mercenary/assassin who works of her own volition - one of a few people who are readily cloned / bio-engineered. On the other side is Trevor Goodchild, the dictator of Bregna. He's more than just a little loopy, and has a weird love/hate thing going on with Aeon.

Erm, that's the stage, anyway. Aeon dies in pretty much every episode she's in, so don't be too surprised if Charlize kicks the can once or twice in the film. They're also not episodically linear. They're all more or less self contained stories about happenings in the city of Bregna. Most involve Aeon, and/or Goodchild. Some don't.

Oh, and speaking of The Matrix, the original author, and his art team for Aeon Flux did an episode in The Animatrix. I can't remember the episode title off the top of my head, but the art style hadn't changed one iota in almost ten years.

Edited by Norguard