Mass Effect...

[LaW]Maverick

So, out of curiosity, I decided to pick up the new Mass Effect novel. It's supposedly a prequel to the upcoming game.

I know what you're thinking...a video game book...must be great! (dripping sarcasm)

However, the reason I decided to pick it up was that it says at the bottom of the cover that it's written by the game's lead writer. That, I thought, was quite interesting. See, I know Bioware hires REAL writers, and they're picky with the ones they choose. These are the guys that write dialog, plot-lines, etc. for the company. They have had writing competitions to see who they hire recently, and my brother and I were thinking 'bout going for it. We didn't finish by the deadline, however.

Aaaaaanyway, my point is this: the game's story, world, dialog, etc was basically developed by this guy. So if the book is good, the game must be good, and if Bioware hired the writer, chances are he's a good one because they were really being picky.

So far, I haven't been let down. I just broke a hundred pages last night and I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I mean, it's not the best book I've ever read by any means, but it's good so far! I will let you know how it is after I read it.

I just figured that there are other readers here, and we're all video game nerds--so someone might be interested! :-)