Cheap 360

Demoner

Ok I could get a 360 that suppose only needs the drive replaced which you can find off of ebay for around 40. No cords come with it so that would be like another 70 or so and he wants 80 for the system. Do you think I should go for it? Cause I'm thinking I might for I could maybe turn in a profit if I were to sell it once I got all the necessary stuff or maybe keep it.

I bought mine this year via income tax return, haha, I've been eye-balling one for awhile and at Christmas my little bro got one with CoD4 and after watching the graffix on it I finally caved, I accually transfered all my gaming over to 360 now.... I needed to buy new RAM and video cards for my PC to play CoD4 and weighting out cost to play it.... I went 360 because of cost and I quit playing WoW... 3yrs playing that game got boring and I could never really find decent servers for CS:S and my CoD2 went to the crapper on me when I tried to play it online :(

I bought mine this year via income tax return, haha, I've been eye-balling one for awhile and at Christmas my little bro got one with CoD4 and after watching the graffix on it I finally caved, I accually transfered all my gaming over to 360 now.... I needed to buy new RAM and video cards for my PC to play CoD4 and weighting out cost to play it.... I went 360 because of cost and I quit playing WoW... 3yrs playing that game got boring and I could never really find decent servers for CS:S and my CoD2 went to the crapper on me when I tried to play it online :(

i just recently bought COD4 for computer so tonight i'm going to install and finally get a chance to play it. I decided not to buy this 360 cause I think in the end I would end up spending the same amount if I would just buy someone's used one from them without all the hassle of buying all the proper cords, harddrive, and such.

(edited)
Yeah the only HDD I've seen for sale when I hit the stores is the 120gb HDD and I think it was close to $200 for it... but not 100% sure

yeah i looked on ebay a little bit at the 20gig hard drives which run around $40. i just think though all said in done i would being saving maybe 50 or 70 dollars after i bought everything compared to a brand new one with the same specs which isn't worth it to me.

Edited by Demoner

I highly suggest not trying to fix a broken 360. I would be surprised to see that the DVD drive is the only part that needs repairs. There is a way to ghost a normal 360 hard drive to a OEM 20gig hard drive, so you don't necessarily need to buy an official 360 one. Still...I really can't see any margin for profit considering all the time and parts you will need.

I highly suggest not trying to fix a broken 360. I would be surprised to see that the DVD drive is the only part that needs repairs. There is a way to ghost a normal 360 hard drive to a OEM 20gig hard drive, so you don't necessarily need to buy an official 360 one. Still...I really can't see any margin for profit considering all the time and parts you will need.

exactly what i was thinking after him telling me what all wasnt included

• 1 month later...

I fixed my younger brothers 360 last week, he was getting 3 rings.

We ended up taking the whole thing apart and removing the X-clamps off the back of the motherboard. Then screwed the heatsinks back on with some screws and washers. The thing would not boot so we unhooked the fan till it over heated with 2 ring error. Tightened the heatsink screws a little more and let it cool off, put it back together and the system has been working the past week (he's been playing GTA4 nonstop). We did it from an online guide and made no sense to me to make it overheat, but did not work until we did so. Seems the x-clams are bending the motherboards, but his was only a year and a half old.

We ended up taking the whole thing apart and removing the X-clamps off the back of the motherboard. Then screwed the heatsinks back on with some screws and washers. The thing would not boot so we unhooked the fan till it over heated with 2 ring error. Tightened the heatsink screws a little more and let it cool off, put it back together and the system has been working the past week (he's been playing GTA4 nonstop). We did it from an online guide and made no sense to me to make it overheat, but did not work until we did so. Seems the x-clams are bending the motherboards, but his was only a year and a half old.

Yes that's the most common cause for the 3 red ring error, the darn warping motherboard. It's really not a difficult repair but you need to be absolutely sure that's your problem before voiding your warranty. I'm assuming your brother's was out of warranty.

Yes that's the most common cause for the 3 red ring error, the darn warping motherboard. It's really not a difficult repair but you need to be absolutely sure that's your problem before voiding your warranty. I'm assuming your brother's was out of warranty.

Yeah he bought it off of ebay reconditioned. I noticed when we too off the cpu heatsink that someone before us mounted an extra fan on it (I saw 3 places where they screwed it into the fins). Evidently this one had an overheating issue so someone sold it on ebay, then someone fixed it and resold it. It only lasted 2 months for my bro before it pooped out. Thing is I think he only game $85 for it with no cables, he previously bought a 360 off of ebay (which was half functional and died), it didn't work so he sold it while keeping the cables and power supply.

Hope our we doesn't have the kind of issues the 360 has, how could it, it's so cute!

Really the only other thing that could die on you is the DVD drive, but you can buy them online for $30 (they have to be 360 drives unfortunately).

Now that you have the case open you might as well mod it. You can easily put a switch on the mod-chip so if you want to play on XBL you just switch the modchip to off and it's like it was never there.

Check out this site if you haven't already, it's where I learned everything for modding the original Xbox

Xbox Scene