Bushwack's build for the kids

bushwack

My kid's comp is getting pretty old, 4 years for the most part and 3D games are struggling.

What I'm upgrading from:

Athon XP Barton mobile chip @2.0

DFI DFII nForce2 mobo

2x512mb HyperX

6600 GT AGP

my Asus 22" monitor when I got my new CRT :)

I'm thinking a $50 Celeron DC E1200 maybe run @2.8 using the cooler that came with my E2160 (same thing but a little bigger)

I need a good cheap mobo - any suggestions around $50?

Just picked up some Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb $50 shipped $20 AR from fry's but get it here too.

Bought a evga 7900 GTO 512mb used off ebay for $57 shipped still waiting for it, hope this doesn't take a month haha.

Carrying over a 250gb WD SATA, 8x DVD burner, 400w Ultra PS (hey it works) and Fortissimo III sound card.

I'd love to get a better proc and give them my E2160 but I just don't have the money to do so. Need help finding a good budget fullsize mobo, not worried about my kids running a quad core anytime soon.

Or does anyone have a used 775 mobo or cpu in my price range?

Went ahead and ordered the Celeron DC, for only $50 it should be fun to play with. It's only going to be pushing a 7900 GTO anyway.

Ordered a GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G mobo.

CPU=$50 free ship

mobo=$65+8 ship

2gigs Crucial Ballistix Tracers $20 AR free ship

evga 7900 GTO 512mb $47+10 ship

Total costs for upgrade: $200

Kinda anxious to see what 200 bucks can do.

• 3 weeks later...
Went ahead and ordered the Celeron DC, for only $50 it should be fun to play with. It's only going to be pushing a 7900 GTO anyway.

Ordered a GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G mobo.

CPU=$50 free ship

mobo=$65+8 ship

2gigs Crucial Ballistix Tracers $20 AR free ship

evga 7900 GTO 512mb $47+10 ship

Total costs for upgrade: $200

Kinda anxious to see what 200 bucks can do.

That's better than the system I built 2 years ago for $700...should do them just fine.

I found my 7900 GT was running out of steam faster than my Athlon dual core in today's games, but that changed when I got my 8800 GT...now the athlon is the dog. Those specs look pretty dang good for that amount of $$$.

System turned out well. Gaming is so much more speedier then the old setup, can actually run games at native 22" rez.

old 3dmark2006=1528

new 3dmark2006=6167 (celeron DC @2.7)

My son mostly plays TF2 and the new comp plays it surprisingly well at 1680x1050 with med/high options, AA off of course.

I'm running the Celly at 2.8 right now and If I had a real heatsink I'm sure it would do 3.2 no probs. Great chip for only $50 and as Tek says the 7900 GTO is holding the chip back. I tested the 7900 in my comp whose cpu has twice the cache and 500 more mhz and only scored 210 more 3dMarks. I'll have to see how it pushes my 8800GT later.

Purty RAM lights and yes the side has a window.

bushkids.jpg

I'll clean up the cables someday.