AC Standards

Asphyxiator

After replacing my accumulator in my truck I realized that I could not do the installation of new freon because im not liscenced. The problem is that I need 3 pounds of R-12 to fill my system. However, I'm debating on switching the system to 134a. Here are the pros and cons i came up with.

R134a

Pros: Cheap and easy to find. Still manufactured. The new "Environmentally Friendly Standard"

Cons: Not as strong (doesnt blow as cold). Smaller molecule so systems are more leak prone.

R12

Pros: Strong and Cold. Doesnt leak as easily. Would save me money on not having to buy a compressor/condenser.

Cons: No longer manufactured. VERY expensive ($40 a pound :blink: ). "Not environmentally friendly."

Im wondering what you guys would do in this situation. The truth behind the R12 environment problem is a coverup so that the company that was producing it could renew their patent with a new type of freon :angry:. Would you spend the $40x3 = $120 plus a liscenced flush/charge, or would you purchase a new compressor/condensor for $500 and not have to worry about extremely expensive charging fees? Right now im leaning towards charging with R12.

If you want to retro fit to the R-134a, you do not have to buy a new compressor. There are retro kit that allow you to convert from R-12 to R-134a. The kit contains new o-ring seals and the proper oil for the refrigerant.

I'm a service manager for an auto shop. I'll be happy to answer any questions anybody has.

check out this link

Bean

In that article it did state that it is harder on compressors that are made for R-12. How long do you plan on keeping your vehicle? It might be worth the investment for a new compressor if you plan on keeping it. R-12 cannot be produced anymore, but they still is a supply of it. But once it's all gone you'll be forced and the price of R-12 will just get steeper. I'll check on prices for the retrokits tomorrow. You will be able to do the retrokit, but you will need somebody certified to evac the system(create a vacuum) and fill it with new refrigerant.

Bean

After replacing my accumulator in my truck I realized that I could not do the installation of new freon because im not liscenced.  The problem is that I need 3 pounds of R-12 to fill my system.  However, I'm debating on switching the system to 134a.  Here are the pros and cons i came up with.

R134a

Pros: Cheap and easy to find.  Still manufactured.  The new "Environmentally Friendly Standard"

Cons: Not as strong (doesnt blow as cold).  Smaller molecule so systems are more leak prone.

R12

Pros: Strong and Cold.  Doesnt leak as easily.  Would save me money on not having to buy a compressor/condenser.

Cons:  No longer manufactured.  VERY expensive ($40 a pound :blink: ).  "Not environmentally friendly."

Im wondering what you guys would do in this situation.  The truth behind the R12 environment problem is a coverup so that the company that was producing it could renew their patent with a new type of freon :angry:.  Would you spend the $40x3 = $120 plus a liscenced flush/charge, or would you purchase a new compressor/condensor for $500 and not have to worry about extremely expensive charging fees?  Right now im leaning towards charging with R12.

Do you have any friends in the home heating/cooling business? I had a buddy that did that for a living and he would charge/check my system for free every summer (his company paid for the freon). I know I used the old freon, cuz I have never had a car made past '87.