overclock help!

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

We need more information Whip. Your mobo manufacturer, chipset type (Via kt333, kt400, nforce2, etc).

If you happen to know if you have the Palamino core or the Thorourbred core would also help. Your type of memory, etc.

Check out this forum here, this will help you get the info you need if you do not know. Post screen shots here.

cpuid

Hey ZD, here is my info. Its not in a nice pic, but it will work I hope:

[ WCPUID Version 3.1a © 1996-2002 By H.Oda! ]

Processor #1 : AMD Athlon XP (Model 8) / 56423362

Platform : Socket A (Socket 462)

Vendor String : AuthenticAMD

CPU Type : Original OEM Processor (0)

Family : 6 (7)

Model : 8 (8)

Stepping ID : 0 (0)

Brand : ----

APIC : ----

HT Log.CPU Cnt : ----

Name String : AMD Athlon XP 2200+

Internal Clock : 1797.28 MHz

System Bus : 266.26 MHz DDR

System Clock : 133.13 MHz

Multiplier : 13.5

L1 I-Cache : 64K Byte

L1 D-Cache : 64K Byte

L1 T-Cache : ----

L1 Cache : ----

L2 Cache : 256K Byte

L2 Speed : 1797.28 MHz (Full)

MMX Unit : Supported

SSE Unit : Supported

SSE2 Unit : Not Supported

MMX2 Unit : Supported

3DNow! Unit : Supported

3DNow!+ Unit : Supported

Host Bridge : 10DE:01E0.A2 [NVIDIA nForce2]

South Bridge : 10DE:01EB.A2 [NVIDIA nForce2 MCP]

VGA Device : 10DE:0110.B2 [NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400]

Memory Size : 512M Byte

Memory Clock : ----

OS Version : Windows XP Version 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

well not knowing whether your cpu is palalino or thoroughbred, I can not tell you if you can change your multiplier or not. You can up your fsb though. I would recommend you put your AGP frequency to 66 hz. And then up your fsb but a little at a time. Like 1 or 2 mhz and test each setting to make sure all is workng properly.

What happens here is this: Your cpu speed will increase as will your memory speed. Make sure your memory speed is descent. As you up your fsb, both your RAM and cpu will clock up. It works like this: multiplyer X fsb = clock speed.

I will post more after i eat dinner. I am starving. (just got home)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

with propper cooling, you may be able to up your fsb to 166 which would equal 333 mhz. BUT your cpu here is going to set your limit. Do a couple mhz and try each one... see if that works. ANd keep going until you get stability problems, then clock back down to your last known stable oc. Dweez is better at this than I am. I do not OC much so hopefully he will have better info for you.

Well, I believe the 2200+ only shipped as a thoroughbread (if you remember the chip, was the dye on it rectangular (meaning thoroughbread) or square (meaning palimino), but I am kind a sure that Palimino only shipped as 2100+).

If it is a Thorougbread, you should have quite a bit of room for overclocking but definitely do what ZD said. Bump your FSB a few MHz, then run your computer as normal for a few hours or the rest of the day. Keep repeating this until it becomes unstable then back off. I was able to bump my FSB from 133MHz to 155.79MHz without having to mess with my voltage any at all. At 160, the system became unstable so I bumped it back down. I should be able to up my voltage a bit and keep going but for now I am content.

Also, since you have the nForce 2 chipset, if you have the version that natively supports 200MHz FSB (400 MHZ CPU frequency) then your chip should be unlocked when you seat it in the mobo. This will allow you to creatively play with your cpu multiplier and FSB speed. I know Rizad would lower his FSB but up his multiplier. This allowed him to get higher speeds and keep the system stable. I haven't down any of this though since I have PC3500 RAM and am no where near maxing it out with my current FSB.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

No, he has the first revision of the nforce2 north bridge. If you look at the info he posted, you will see this: Host Bridge : 10DE:01E0. A2 [NVIDIA nForce2]

The A2 means he has the first revision. You and I have the A1 or C1 revision which natively supports the 400 mhz fsb. He may still be able to OC quite well on it.

About the 2200 xp, did some research on the steppings to make sure, and what he has is the thoroughbred. Your multiplier is already at 13.5. Try the fsb upping like dweezil said and see how it works for you. Bump a few at a time, then run if for a few hours, then try it again and repeat the process until your cpu gets too hot or you get instable. Do not push it too hard. Remember OC voids your warranty.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Also, try looking here guys. There is lots of info you can get from here, special forums JUST for your mobo type and manufacturer. Ask questions there and they will help you. Be sure to post that you are new to OC. They will have your same type of mobo and know it better than dweezil and myself. Good luck buddy.

http://www.nforcershq.com