New version of AAO out

Crowbar

America's Army: Operations updated a few days ago, with a small 9 mb patch. It adds a new map, SF_Sandstorm, which I just got done playing. It rocks. Most of the America's Army maps are large, not huge, but big enough that games can go pretty long when it's down to just a couple people. There is a time limit, like in CS, but in AA:O it's usually 8-10 minutes, instead of 5.

However, back to the map. It's a small map, in a mid-east setting. It's also a Special Forces map, so, if you've passed Special Forces training, then you can use the M4 with whatever mods you've personalized it with, such as a suppressor and a choice of scopes or sights. The map is called Sandstorm for a reason, the fight is in the midst of a small sandstorm. The objective is to identify 3 packages at different locations. What's unique about this map, is that both teams have to make their way into the bombed out village and identify the packages. Other maps require one team to identify, another to guard, but not this one. This is part of the reason the gameplay is so much faster, both teams are rushing to complete the goals first. The village is in rubble, providing a lot of cover, with windows, doors and crumbled wall to shoot and move through. The sandstorm ensures that you won't see your enemy until he's within about 20 feet of you, making spray and pray the prefered method. Most AA:O maps I leave my rifle on single fire, but this one everyone goes in with full auto. Since I have not completed the Special Forces training, I only had the choice of using an MP5-like weapon. I've only seen it in that map, and I rather like it. It's small and fully automatic, and perfect for that situation.

If you guys haven't tried America's Army, I highly recommend it. After all, it's FREE, what have you got to loose, besides a little less than 400 mb of hard drive space? Especially TRY IT if you like the slower, more tactical, league-style CS.