Discussion on Unreal Ed

The Unreal Editor is one of the most powerful and widely used editors in the gaming industry, and it is even used for non-gaming applications. So, I'm going to try to learn something about it. Fatty has also mentioned that he wants to make a map. Xoul and I did some searching and came up with a multitude of web resources for using the Unreal Editor. Keep in mind that most of these focus on Unreal Ed for UT2003, but it's basically the same thing. The editor included with UT2004 is the second incarnation.

Anyway, I would really like to learn this thing. And I work best when others are interested as well, you know, motivation and all. So, post up if you're interested in learning how to use Unreal Ed. Pretty soon we could be contributing members of the UT mapping community. Maybe we could even make our own mod. :D

Here are just a few of the websites I've been browsing through:

3D Buzz - This site is AWSOME! News from the graphic and game design world, product reviews and announcements, forums, a personal web page to display your work, and best of all, free video tutorials for download. I just watched the introduction tutorial and these guys are professional! The videos are in .avi format and the intro was a wopping 18 minutes and 31 seconds long. It basically went over the interface of Unreal Ed, along with introducing some terms and describing a bit of what each button does.

Check out the Unreal Ed tutorials under the Downloads tab once you've registered (free) and set up your preferences. It only takes a couple minutes to register/confirm/set up personal space. You'll have to close the site and then go to www.3dbuzz.com again after confirming your registration to get to the login area.

Sega 500 - Also offering free classes in Unreal Ed, this site is a lot less polished then 3D Buzz, and the tutorials are in .ppt (powerpoint) format, but nonetheless, you'll probably learn something. I've downloaded 4 lessons, but only watched one. The lesson moved a little fast for me, I couldn't get something to work like it showed, the one slide offered as direction wasn't enough for my feeble little mind.

Unreal Developer Network - This is the official help site for the Unreal Editor. This particular portion of the site is more or less the Unreal Ed manual. No nifty videos, but the documentation looks like it's pretty in-depth and there are a fair number of pictures to help us visual learners.

It might just be those videos that are available there.

It's 7.46 GB of videos....they're free and all created by 3D Buzz, so perhaps they're available on the web too.

I'm copying them out right now to my HD because if you go to "play" your map, it asks for the other dvd....which, when you have the tutorial video paused while you're working, doesn't quite make sense.