PC not booting

Playaa

What is the configuration of the hard drive? Is it set to master? What else do you have on your IDE chain. From what you're saying it seems that theres a conflict in the IDE channels. 2 things might be set to master? slave? Check that out.

both drives are set to "cable select" and always have been.

I guess I didn't explain well enough above...I changed NOTHING before this happened. I turned my pc off one night, came home the next evening (after spending the night at my parents house) and turned it on and it just wouldn't boot.

now here's the really odd part.

a friend of mine loaned me a complete working pc. I plugged my hard drives into it...and it does the same thing. It won't boot. (it boots fine with his hard drive in it)

Tonight I'm gonna try just putting my secondary hard drive in as a slave to his primary and see what happens. I honestly think that my 2 hard drives bought 1 year apart, 1 being an IBM DeskStar 80 gig and 1 being a Western Digital 80 gig, both went out at the same time. Because I've tried using the secondary as a master in my computer (to install XP on it again) and it won't boot like that either.