Weird problem

rackish

Ok, so I have a pretty good machine p43.2, gig ram, radeon9800xt, blah, blah. So anyway, all my text (menus, personal tab thing, ammo numbers, everything) turns all distorted and barley readable when I set my video settings to high or ultra, when I set it to medium or low all the text is crystal clear, it's like a whole new game. I even did the 'set optimal settings' and it set it to high and all the text and it was still messed. This is really strange - i'll do a switch from high to medium or something and it will change the text right infront of me, but I say I restart the game, it won't change the text when i do the same as above(dunno, might be a bug). I'd like to know why this is happening, would it have something to do w/ my video card? And I really can't tell if the graphics are changing when I do this, strange... I'll try to get some before/after screenshots.

(edited)

Well I did the screenshots of the menus, and they look the same, just the 'clear' 1 is bigger and more readable in paint, and the 'distorted' 1 is clear and readable, just smaller, I think this is a resolution problem, I dunno, all this typing/thining hurts my fragile little peanut mind.

Edited by rackish

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Are you over clocking your video card? If so, put it back at stock speeds.

Do you have the latest drivers? If no, go to ati.com and download the latest Catalyst drivers.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
No, and yes.

I'll just leave it @ medium, tis ok, thanks anyway, I just find it strange.

Could be a cooling issue. Try downclocking your card a little and see if that helps any.

I fixed this same thing by installing the beta 4.9 drivers and then setting it up for full performance. It runs 800x600 in high quality really well now on my 9800 pro. Dunno if that's the only way, but it worked for me.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Buddy of mine with his 9700 pro runs this game in 1024 x 768 High setting. He has a Gig of RAM and changed that cache setting to 512MB and set the Antiscopic filtering setting in the doom3 config file to 4 instead of 8.

To ZD, I'm pretty sure it's not cooling, I have4 case fans, and the hardware monitor says they're all working. Dweez, I have a 19" CRT Samsung monitor, and your conclusion sounds very possible. And mr. X I'll try that, thanks.