Networking Q

General J

So now that I have 2 computers, and 2 printers. One printer is a normal desktop printer. The other is a Canon photo printer that I will never be using except through the computer upstairs. I get the fun of hooking these all up. Our house is a multisplit (5 levels, basement included. I love saying, "Oh yes we have 5 floors to our home." :D ) One computer is on the top floor, and the other will be one floor below it. Also, the 2 printers will be on the top floor. The existing cable line and modem are also on the top floor. I am going with hardwiring.

My question is router or switch? (I know I know, I took a year of networking in tech school... I should know this. But I am just getting back into the computing game)

Which will be better for ease of use - both for the lan connecting out via cable modem, and for ease of sharing the normal printer? I would assume either option would mean the possibility of lan games between the two?

geez, I need to get back up to speed on all this... :(

So with a router, the router is assigned an ip only right? Will I just leave both printers hooked up to one computer and just share the one normal printer?

Any suggestions on a good quality router? I was looking at a D-Link or linksys. I know Belkin is a cheap company, but our their networking products any good?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Using a D-link now without any problems at all. Actually their wireless is the best for range. My neighbor gets a strong 75% signal, it's amazing.