Arctic Stronghold-RELOADED

ONS-ArcticStronghold-RELOADED

arcticstronghold-reloaded.jpg

click on the picture to download or click here.

I had been meaning to post this earlier but here goes.

This is a version of Arctic Stronghold that I have edited so try it out and let me know what you think, maybe upload it to cuffo if there are no problems with it after some of you test it.

¦¦¦ Changes ¦¦¦

Removed the Redeemer.

Removed the Super Health Powerup.

Removed the Super Shield Powerup.

Removed one shield powerup located between nodes three and four.

Removed one tree near node one that was blocking a turrets line of sight and allowing enemy tanks to 'snipe' node one.

Removed the ammo pickups for the bio rifle from both cores.

Replaced both core's goliath tanks with hellbenders.

Replaced both core's original hellbenders with scorpions.

Replaced both core's bio rifles with flak cannons.

¦¦¦ Story ¦¦¦

The recent ban of the use of small nuclear weapons in the tournament has caused the Arctic Stronghold map to be restructured.

¦¦¦ Gameplay Design ¦¦¦

This map was designed to improve the Arctic Stronghold experience. Now instead of depending upon the redeemer and one or more goliath tanks members of a team must work together to achieve victory. With the removal of the two base goliaths the only way to acquire a goliath tank now is to take and hold node five.

¦¦¦ Installation ¦¦¦

Unzip the .zip file into your UT2004 directory with Paths ON.

Questions? Comments? Feel free to share them here.

Mk5

The idea behind removing the tanks was to make whoever gets node 5 have to actively work to keep the tank alive because it will be the best way to keep the nodes linked to the core down.

Personally I think that with 1 tank it will make people use scorpions intelligently (and more often) and develop new tactics for hellbenders.

The idea I had is to make people do more of certain things:

1) scorpion snipe the node from a good spot.

2) hellbender snipe the node from a good spot.

3) flak cannon the node up close.

Now that the flak cannon is available with 15 ammo at each core both teams can go out and try to use it to take back their primary nodes by whatever means, they can still mine the nodes too.

Edit: the goal is to make the map require teamwork to accomplish the objective and not 1 person with a tank or deemer.

Ahh. The redeemer is gone! Praise the lord and hallelujah! Not sure about the removal of the tanks though. Perhaps a levi-like respawn delay would've been better, but I'll have to give this map a whirl though, first.

On a side note, those textures in that screenshot look awfully blurry. My Radeon 9600XT just arrived today, and I'm in heaven. The visual quality on that thing couldn't be better! :D