Need a little help

Crowbar

Can anyone give me some advice on how to make my system perform better? I think I'm missing something. Running 3D Mark 2003 (free demo) I got a score of only about 2700. I have just changed from the Omega drivers to the Radeon drivers, though something didn't change right because my video options are still the Omega style menu, even though I did the Omega uninstall. Also, my "ATI Catalyst Control Center" shortcut doesn't work, says the program cannot start. Would that be the problem, or is there something else I may have missed?

My computer is as follows:

ASRock K8S8X mobo

Athlon 64 3000+

1024MB A-Data RAM

40GB Western Digital 5400rpm HD

40GB Seagate 5400rpm HD

Sapphire 9800 Pro 128MB gfx card

Thermaltek 420watt power supply

Could the slow hard drives have that much effect on performance? In the "Wings of Fury" test I was maxing at only 60-65 fps, I know I've gone into the 100s before.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

at www.driverheaven.net there is a tool called DriverCleaner. There is a "bold" link on the left for it. Download it and install it. Then go into safe mode and run it to remove all ATI and NVIDIA driver junk one at a time. Then restart. Then Make sure you have DX9C installed, .Net 1.1 and the following SP1 for it. The latest drivers for your mobo/chipset. Then get the latest ATI Drivers. You should be getting around 4500 or maybe higher on 3dmark03. Now make sure you do NOT have AA and AF turned on or that will reduce your score.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

alright, did the driver cleaner thing, 3D Mark 2003 score jumped up to 5591. Very nice, fps in "Wings of Fury" was up to 149, "Battle of Proxycon" mostly stayed between 18-35, sometimes going up to 50+. My "CPU test 2" was very bad though, getting around 4fps in the "Trolls Lair" test. That normal?

Also, what is this ".Net 1.1" thing? Is it an update from Microsoft? If so, I have it already, SP2 is the only update I haven't installed.

Also, what is this ".Net 1.1" thing? Is it an update from Microsoft? If so, I have it already, SP2 is the only update I haven't installed.

The .net he is talking about is Microsoft's .Net framework. There is an update out. I do not remember what all it updates/fixes. With Microsoft, you may never know what all was changed, and you may not want to.